steel plate to strengthen joist

Old 06-14-11, 12:36 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
steel plate to strengthen joist

Here is a joist under my bathtub that needs to be strengthened:

I'm straightening out the sag with a jack, then I plan to reinforce it on the back with a 2x10, on the front with a steel plate.
The plumber said he can rearrange the drain plumbing so there's only a single hole for a pipe going through the steel plate. So there wouldn't be the huge cutout in the picture.
So what thickness should the steel plate be? It would rest on the sill plate, and go about 15" past the cut part.
thanks

Old 06-14-11, 02:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I was always under the impression that when sistering a joist, the added support had to travel the length of the joist.

Old 06-14-11, 02:22 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This was discussed in another thread. You need an engineer to answer this question for you. I doubt 15" past the notch will be enough.

Old 06-14-11, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by drooplug
You need an engineer to answer this question for you.
Yes, this question has already been answered. Asking again isn't going to change the answer, if you don't like the replies you have already gotten. Adding steel 15" past the cut part will not fly.

Old 06-16-11, 06:46 AM
G
The joist has been that way for 50 years, it isn't going anywhere. I'm just trying to stiffen it.
I couldn't sister that joist the whole length, there are things getting in the way.
Laura

Old 06-16-11, 11:17 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If I recall correctly, you talked about having tile on the floor. It is likely that the bounce in the floor will cause your tile to crack. If you are installing larger tub, that could also be a problem with the added weight of the water when it is filled. I wouldn't want to try and support any tub full of water on that joist.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: