Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing an exterior wall stud that's bowed

CO

06-29-11, 07:05 AM   #1  
Repairing an exterior wall stud that's bowed

I'm remodeling a room upstairs and after taking out a closet found that the adjacent exterior stud is bows into the room over an inch! Because this is an exterior wall I don't want to pull it out and replace it (to much of a job) Since this is an exterior wall I'm not sure I should make cut into it.

Sponsored Links

CT

06-29-11, 07:33 AM   #2  
I would snap a straight line on the stud and remove the bow with a circular saw or a reciprocating saw. If it's a bearing wall you can just add another stud alongside.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-30-11, 03:35 AM   #3  
By cutting into the stud, you are releasing the tension causing the bow. Sort of like cutting a muscle in a body. I would do it with a recip, because when the tension is released the stud will bow outward and grab your blade, so be ready. Once you have enough cut, probably 2/3rds of the way, drive a 3" screw from the top part downward into the bottom part. that will help bow it even more and secure it. Do as Wayne said, and install a sister stud to it to keep it straight and help with vertical pressure, if load bearing.
Just for information in case you run into one bowed the other way (outward), cut the same kerf and place shims in the crack, driving them in from both sides until the bow is out, then do the screw thingy and sister, once you cut off the ends of the shims.

NJ

06-30-11, 05:04 PM   #4  
I think you guys have described two different methods. I believe Wayne is saying to rip the stud straight while Chandler is describing cross cutting into the stud on a 45 degree angle 2/3's of the way through. Then bang shims into the kerf to straighten the stud. You would have to do that on the concave side. I don't think this is a viable option if there is siding on the outside of the house and the OP doesn't want to remove any of it. The option I would consider is the sister a stud on the bowed stud so it is flush and plumb with the highest point of the bow. Then fur out the remaining studs. If you can stand to lose an inch in room size, I think it would be the easiest and least complicated method.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-30-11, 05:21 PM   #5  
Gotta figure if the stud is bowed, either in or out, both strata are following it. I would certainly check to see if nails are pulled from the siding or exterior sheathing first, but straightening the stud will straighten the siding as well. Using the shims on the concave side is right. Cutting a kerf and screwing the void closed on the convex side will work, too.

Search this Thread