Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

I need advice for how to frame aroudn this basement window

Old 06-30-11, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I'm framing some exterior walls in my basement and I've run into a detail I need some advice on. I've got a couple windows to frame around that have beveled cinder block around them and I have a few questions:

1) The windows basically go all the way to the rafters. Should I run the 2x4 top plate in front of it and consider that the header. Should I go with something thinner? The wood frame around the window is only about an inch thick (see pictures below)

2) Should I frame the sill and trimmer studs flush with the wood frame of the window or with the bevel of the concrete? In either case, how do I attach drywall or trim from the rough sill to the window frame?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-11, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
IMO you should make your framing line up with the edge of the cement opening. (outside edge of the wood jamb) This way, in the event you want to tear the window out someday and replace it, you will not run into problems with the wall being "in the way".

I would not run the top plate over the top of the window, but instead it would stop at the edges of the cement window opening. You will install framing under the window that also lines up with the bottom of the wood sill.

If you drywall, you would use a tearaway l-bead to finish up against the wood jamb. But IMO it would be easier to make an extension jamb out of 1x8 or similar material (shoot it together like a box) and insert it into the rough opening, push it tight against the window, shim the sides so it can't move, then shoot it to the rough opening, and trim the face with casing. Your extension jamb would probably need to be ripped to the exact width, as when measuring from the face of your drywall back to the jamb. It would probably be somewhere around 6 1/2" if you leave a 1" space behind your 2x4 walls.

Sometimes when you measure for the extension jamb, you will have a little different measurement at each corner. Rather than worry about that, I like to take the smallest measurement, flush the extension jamb box up with the face of the wall, and then use an additional trim piece (like baseshoe or door stop) to cover up any gap where the extension jamb box meets the window. Works slick.

Old 06-30-11, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
One other thing. You might go outside and measure the cement opening on the exterior side of the window, and compare it with the measurement inside. Sometimes that angled cement has been parged onto the cement opening, and when you replace the window, the angled part gets knocked off. It's worth taking a minute or two to measure and compare.

Old 06-30-11, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks XSleeper, that all made sense