Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chalk line out of square room for framing

PA

07-23-11, 05:25 PM   #1  
Chalk line out of square room for framing

Hello all, I am framing interior walls in a balloon framed house. The whole house is gutted to the outside walls. I am going to frame partitioning walls throughout the entire house. The house was an old railroad style, about 15 foot wide and 50 foot long each floor. I am having an issue snapping my chalk lines though as the outside walls of course are not square. I have tried using a few lasers but no luck. I have framed walls before but always in platform style houses with exterior walls that were much more true. I know this should be easy, but really having a hard time here. I understand the 3-4-5 method, but with the walls running out, I never can seem to make everything work. If anyone has a few pointers or links to vids that would help, I would be much appreciative. My fiancée is about to knock me out of square for taking so long with this.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-25-11, 06:54 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

When working with old, out-of-square buildings, you will likely not be able to make everything square and will have to adapt to what the structure gives you.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-25-11, 07:34 PM   #3  
I would measure off the short wall half the distance of the long wall in two places, 7' apart or so, one at the wall and one in the middle. Snap a line. Move from this line as a baseline for the remainder to either end. You will use this as a center line of the building and a reference point. Disregard the long wall, as it is probably the culprit. You will not have square corners, but, then neither did the $350k new house I worked on last week, so don't fret.

PA

07-26-11, 09:42 AM   #4  
Thank you for your insight, it is much appreciated. I will give it a shot. Have a great day, thanks again.

Search this Thread