problem with center main bean of two story house

Old 11-02-11, 02:59 PM
problem with center main bean of two story house

i have a two story home that was left to me. i am unemployed husband works all the time need help. i take care of my disabled mother but i do a lot of work around my house myself, this is out of my range or know how. the center beam of the house is twisting and the up stairs floor is pulling apart and has my worried. how do i find out how big or wide the beam needs to be and wood or steal. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-11, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Michelle!

I doubt I can answer that for you but when the guys that can get time to answer - they'll need more info. Where is this beam? How long is it? what size is it? Can you better explain how the 2nd floor is pulling apart? maybe provide a pic or two. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

They'll likely have more questions but that ought to get them started

Old 11-02-11, 06:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I was on a job once where the beam was actually falling out of place. It had to be replaced with steel. The big question is, what caused yours to twist? It sounds like the foundation could be sinking or shifting on one side. Walk around the house & look carefully for cracks in the foundation & anything else that looks out of place. Be a detective. Take your time.

Post pics of anything that could be related.

Old 11-03-11, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
. . . Walk around the house & look carefully for cracks in the foundation & anything else that looks out of place. Be a detective. Take your time.
. . . .
But don't take too much time, lest the house deteriorates to the point of collapse. And if your detective skills don't yield any definite results, I'd suggest you bring in a structural engineer who has field experience in evaluating deteriorated beams. He/she would also be able to suggest the most cost-effective corrective measures.