Screw or Nail Subfloor

Old 05-16-06, 08:24 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screw or Nail Subfloor

This may seem like a crazy question, but I want to add some extra screws or nails to attach a plywood subfloor (3/4" T&G) to joists. I was out at the house last night and could see the framers missed the joists with many nails. Which would be prefered, nails or screws? And what type/size of nails or screws? I am trying to keep bouncing and squeaking to a minimum. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-16-06, 11:14 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Screws or ring shank nails are OK. I would stay away from common nails.

Old 05-16-06, 11:53 AM
M
Thanks for all the great info! Unfortunately, I have a decision to make now. I spoke to the builder this morning and he does have an issue with me adding extra screws. However, normally he would fix any squeaking problems under warranty for the first year. If I do add screws, however, he said he will not cover any such issues. Should I add the screws and negate the warranty on squeaks or leave it as is?

Old 05-16-06, 09:01 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it. What was your builders response when you showed him all the missed nails? Did you ask him to fix it before the flooring is installed?

Old 05-16-06, 09:24 PM
B
It isn't too uncommon to miss a couple nails with a gun but any experienced framer will knowwhen he misses and shoot another at least (makes a different sound) I always use coated nails to shoot down a deck but the no. 1 important thing to do is to use a good bead of subfloor adhesive. That is what is going to illiminate your squeaks. If he didn't do that he did you a diservice

Old 11-10-11, 11:19 AM
D
Adding Screws to subfloor

I spoke to the builder this morning and he does have an issue with me adding extra screws. However, normally he would fix any squeaking problems under warranty for the first year. If I do add screws, however, he said he will not cover any such issues.
So why would the builder void a warranty or not want more screws added?

Is there a problem with doing this?

Old 11-10-11, 11:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
FDIYer1000: This is a five and a half year old thread, I doubt you're going to get an answer to your question.

Old 11-10-11, 12:21 PM
D
[SUB][/SUB]Why would it make a difference how old the thread is. It's just a question. Something that came up in this thread.

I'm putting screws into my squeaky nailed subfloor too. One has already been hardwooded over. I can't imagine why this is a problem (other than maybe that builder would not warranty any work someone else messed with). My contractor did not indicate any potential issues.

Old 11-10-11, 12:39 PM
S
Group Moderator
I'm saying the original poster has not logged on since five days after they posted this question more than five years ago and since you asked a question about their contractor's opinion of something you shouldn't expect an answer from them.

Old 11-10-11, 02:22 PM
D
I see. I was just asking the question generally, so wasn't really directing it to the original poster. I wouldn't expect them to be around any longer.

Does anyone know why this might be an issue?

Adding Screws to subfloor

I spoke to the builder this morning and he does have an issue with me adding extra screws. However, normally he would fix any squeaking problems under warranty for the first year. If I do add screws, however, he said he will not cover any such issues.
So why would the builder void a warranty or not want more screws added?
Is there a problem with doing this (other than the builder not wanting anyone messing with his own warrantied work)?

Old 11-10-11, 02:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
I've done it - the former in-laws built a 3500 ft² lake home seven years ago and I went behind the carpenters and put a few thousand screws into the already nailed floor. Nobody minded at all. And the floor has never squeaked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: