Cutting Out Baseplate on Concrete Floor

Old 11-06-11, 04:54 AM
doc
Cutting Out Baseplate on Concrete Floor

I have a barn on a concrete slab. There is a rough opening for an interior door framed in the wall between the two main areas. I want to finally put a door in thee but I'm not sure what to do with the base plate. Its 2X6 oak. Can I get away with leaving it there and just put the door in? If not, what's the best way to cut it out?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-11, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd cut it out using a saws all. Leaving it would likely become a trip hazard

Old 11-06-11, 05:26 AM
doc
I thought about using the sawsall, but wasn't sure I could do that with the concrete there.

Old 11-06-11, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The worst that can happen is you would scratch the concrete and dull the blade..... but with a little bit of care it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 11-06-11, 06:26 AM
If you install the blade upside down in the saw you'll get a better angle on the cut and be less likely to impact on the concrete. You can always finish the cut with a handsaw.

If it were me I would just cut it with the sawzall and toss the blade after.

Old 11-06-11, 10:40 PM
Or if you're cheap like me, and don't like ruining a perfectly good Sawzall blade (mine are all expensive, bi-metal beauties, and I treat them like my children), throw a cheap metal-cutting wheel on an angle grinder, give the wood a good water soak, and grind away. Stop at intervals to add more water, to keep from burning the place down. And warn the wife ahead of time (because of the smoke you generate), so she doesn't call the fire department.

Used an angle grinder dozens of times to cut floor plates, although never on oak.

Old 11-07-11, 03:58 AM
doc
Interesting idea. I did get that plate out yesterday using a combination of my sawzall, circular saw, and handsaw. Only thing left is an inch of so on each side right up close to the posts. I'll see if the angle grinder can get up close.......I'll warn my wife - she WOULD call the fire department.....