Installing Hardwood Flooring

Old 11-11-11, 08:21 AM
Installing Hardwood Flooring

How long do you think it would take to nail down 3/8" flooring in a 22 x11.5 foot room? Two men.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 11:08 AM
Too many variables to say.

Old 11-11-11, 11:28 AM
Flooring

What width pieces? What length?

Old 11-11-11, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a flooring nailer/stapler for the 3/8" flooring? Is your subfloor perfectly flat? The reason I am asking, is that is awfully thin flooring to be fastening with mechanical fasteners. What brand/style flooring are you planning on using? and as the others have asked, need length of flooring (random or set).

Old 11-11-11, 07:19 PM
Sorry, not enough info. I meant to note that it's 2-1/4 wide. Set length of boards is 42. Variable length pieces being cut for the ends. Nail gun.

It's an Anderson floor, glue/nail/staple.

Old 11-13-11, 09:31 AM
Just so we don't have to beat it out of you , could you expound a little? What style flooring? Anderson may carry a kazillion styles. Maybe even a link to your flooring. And "Nail gun" don't say a lot. Could you tell us what type gun and what type foot you are using?

Old 11-23-11, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Just so we don't have to beat it out of you , could you expound a little? What style flooring? Anderson may carry a kazillion styles. Maybe even a link to your flooring. And "Nail gun" don't say a lot. Could you tell us what type gun and what type foot you are using?
I believe it's a PowerNail model using 1 inch nails, every 4 inches. What style floor? Hm, how would that matter. Other than 2-1/4" red oak. 3/8" thick, I'm not sure what you mean. Except for cutting end pieces, boards have been about 41 inches. All boards are long, so have to calculate cuts for starter pieces so joints don't get too close on the last four courses laid.

Last edited by DIYer1000; 11-23-11 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 11:40 AM
A couple other questions.

1. Is gluing down a floor faster?

2. Do you use stainless steel nails for face nailing around the perimeter or other problem areas that call for a face nail?

Old 11-26-11, 04:42 AM
I checked the powernail site, and all they are showing is a stapler for 3/8" flooring, so I guess that is what you are using. I was asking about the style of flooring to see if it is engineered flooring or laminate. I am assuming engineered flooring. There is no need to "calculate" the starter boards. If your remnant on your final cut is at least 8" long, use it for a starter on the next run. It will provide you an offset for each line you lay that is different.
Gluing is sloppy and slow. I see no need to use stainless steel nails, but they don't rust.

Old 11-26-11, 07:54 PM
They tried stapling but switched back to nails. It may have been a Bostitch nailer. They seem to have more than one gun. It's engineered oak.

How much space do you leave in front of the stone threshold of a bathroom door?

When you do the face nailing, do you do them in sets of two, like we see on the old fashioned floors or do you do them kind of randomly?

Old 11-27-11, 03:31 AM
Generally you will leave 1/4" all around the perimeter of the floor. At the threshold, you may get by with a little less, but don't push your luck, as the flooring will expand and contract with the changes in weather. I would use a gap and fill the gap with a matching color elastomeric caulk so it will give and take and not crack.
I don't understand the face nailing question. "sets of two". Face nailing is done at the perimeter where you can't get the angle nailer in. Remember, too, you will have base molding and possibly shoe molding to help cover the nails.

Old 11-27-11, 09:11 AM
A 1/2" is pretty wide.

They face nailed the last few boards at the perimeter. I bet they're not using an angle nailer. Just their nail gun I think. There were problems renting a nailer. Looking at this one area, three boards are nailed. Problem spots in the field where there was some peaking or something, were face nailed some.

When I see face nailed flooring, it's

: : : :

Not done randomly. Although the documentation did say to nail into the darker parts to hide them. Not what's being done here though. It's just nailed randomly on the boards.

Molding will not cover the nails. There do seem to be quite a few on each board. They said they get filled but didn't do it as they went. I find it hard to believe they're going to go back later to crawl all over the flooring looking for nails that need to be filled.

They only left 1/8" on one area of the hallway. Right next to the area they said had to be 1/2"! The other side has a 1/2" gap. Does that handle it?

Old 11-28-11, 03:22 PM
How much do you charge per foot to install hardwood flooring? Nail down and glue down.

How much do you usually get done in a day. How many men?

Old 11-28-11, 03:33 PM
Whoa, they are face nailing in the field? Why? There should be only face nailing around the perimeter where they can't get their angle nailer in the space. They didn't get the proper nailer??? I believe this may be a nightmare for you. I would truly like to see some pictures of this random face nailing in the field and how they handled the perimeter spacing. Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures so we can see what you are looking at? Thanks. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-28-11, 10:21 PM
I think the face nailing in the field was just a sporadic number of places. There were some places that weren't completely flat or something or the boards weren't quite flat enough at the joint. I have no idea how often that happened but I don't think it was alot. ? I'll have to check that out. : (

The perimeter spacing is good at 1/2". It was at the bathroom threshold area that I question needing to be so wide. I've never seen them with a 1/2" gap like that. It will be covered by threshold material because the bathroom is too high. But they insist it was necessarythere regardless. I didn't want it so wide so as to be necessary to cover it. The threshold piece might look odd so I might want to eliminate it if it does.

A short wall next to the bathroom only has 1/8" though ... as for their insistence for the gap at the door next to it.?

The floor looks great. I'm worried about technical details and things that seem to be done differently. I hope there aren't many face nails in the field now that you mention it. Too late now. They are done the upstairs.

Old 11-28-11, 10:25 PM
So, will the first humid summer be the test?

I grew up with 2" oak totally face nailed. It's fine. That's how it used to be done isn't it? It was solid of course, not engineered.

Old 11-29-11, 05:38 PM
Chandler, I wish I could check out how much face nailing there is in the field but it's all covered with rosin paper and a bunch of stuff from downstairs. These are small nail heads. Smaller than what was on the floor growing up. I was told fill and they won't be seen. Looks like I will be filling them myself but that's another story.

Old 11-30-11, 02:48 AM
Pull up rosin paper, immediately and inspect this floor. If you have to put filler in any holes, deduct it from the bill they give you for installation. There should be no field nailing in 3/8" engineered T&G. I shudder to think what you will find. Let us know.