Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engineed hardwood glued to particle board subfloor

MN

11-12-11, 09:29 AM   #1  
Engineed hardwood glued to particle board subfloor

So I'm in the process of replacing my engineered hardwood floor in my kitchen after a not so good sanding job. I set out today to remove the old flooring and find that is is glued to the subfloor. Ok. Now the issue I have is that as I am removing the old flooring, most of the glue is staying attached to the subfloor. I guess they have an adhesive remover to get that off. Great. But as I continue I know that in some places the particle board subfloor is adhered to the glue which is adhered to the hardwood.

Is there any way to fix the subloor to level it after I have removed the boards and glue? I talked to my father about it and he's not so sure. He thinks I should lay the new laminate flooring on top of the old, but that creates new problems. The fridge is already right up tight to the bottom of the cabinet above it. I'm sure there is a way to fix this, but I would rather not have to lay the new on top of the old.

Any ideas for "easily" fixing the subfloor divits?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

11-12-11, 02:28 PM   #2  
I would probably remove everything right down to the joists but if you don't want to do that, look at the feet on the refrigerator. Are they adjustable?

Secondly, there is a underlayment available at home depot. It's expensive but it might do the trick.

MN

11-12-11, 03:07 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. Noticed a new issue if I put the new flooring on top of the old. Door from the kitchen to the garage wouldn't clear the new height either. Curses all around. I'll have to look and see if the fridge has adjustable feet, never thought of that!

I think my options now are to either remove the entire sub floor or else remove only the old flooring and put down some 1/8" sub floor to fix the issue (if that even exists).

Nothing ever is simple, is it

Temporarily Suspended

NY

11-12-11, 05:35 PM   #4  
The door height crossed my mind as well. Hire two day workers & remove everything down to the joists. Install 1/2 plywood & whatever floor you want on top of that.

MN

11-12-11, 05:59 PM   #5  
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

I took a look by the floor registers and the 3/4" particle board on top of 1/2" plywood/osb. Can't really tell, but that is what it appears to be. If I do remove the sub floor can I leave the 1/2" and just remove the particle board or would it be best to remove it all and start over?

Temporarily Suspended

NY

11-13-11, 06:41 AM   #6  
It's up to you but if you leave the 1/2 plywood, add extra screws to avoid any shifting or noise.

Search this Thread