Kitchen exhaust fan & 2x4 stud in the way

Old 11-14-11, 10:16 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen exhaust fan & 2x4 stud in the way

Trying to install kitchen exhaust fan, venting horizontally through outside wall. Studs are 16" oc and as luck would have it, 1 stud is right in the middle of the 3x10 vent opening. Vertical venting is not an option so looks like cutting the stud is only option. I assume I can't just cut the stud out without reinforcing it somehow. Kitchen is finished and trying to do this without taking the cabinets out. Suggestions / thoughts on how to best go about this would be appreciated.

Old 11-15-11, 08:03 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You can cut and header the stud, framing it similar to framing a window opening.
Is it a bearing wall?

Old 11-15-11, 10:42 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Being an exterior wall, I suspect that it is load-bearing. But that doesn't change anything--just do as Wayne suggested. Headers, top and bottom, carrying across to and screwed into adjacent studs (best to pre-drill the angled holes). Needless to say, you'll be removing and replacing a good-sized chunk of sheetrock, but it's still a relatively simple job.

Old 11-15-11, 02:31 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Any thoughts on size of header? Would 2-2x4s be sufficient?

Old 11-15-11, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When I did a similar installation a few years ago, I used a single horizontal 2 x 4, both top and bottom. Then I added a vertical 2 x 4 stub on each side, horizontally screwed into the adjacent studs from the opening side. And then a single screw (4 each) into the ends of the stubs, through the top and bottom header ends. And again, all holes pre-drilled to avoid splitting. Don't go overboard on the number of screws, or you'll weaken everything by making wooden Swiss cheese.

Old 11-15-11, 07:40 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
How you fram the opening depends on wether or not it is a load bearing wall. In a typical gable roof framing only two of the walls will be load bearing. These are the walls that support the rafters.
Typically they will be perpendicular to the joists.

For a small opening I would use doubled 2X4's on edge for the header if the wall is load bearing with the header supported by trimmers at the width of the RO for the exhaust and also at the king studs where the header is attached. I would also install a sill supported by jack studs under the trimmers.

If the wall isn't load bearing I would just cut the stud and frame it with 2X4's lying flat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: