Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

removing a balloon framed load bearing interior stud wall?

Old 11-17-11, 01:11 PM

I would like to remove a interior load bearing wall from my balloon framed box colonial. The wall of interest has studs that run to a double top plate with the second floor wall stud right on top of the plate. The joists then sit on the top plate. The issue I am having is that there is no way to support the second floor stud wall above as it sits on the top plate that i wish to replace with a beam.

Will I have to demo the second floor wall finishes, build support structures on either side (second floor) lag bolt them thru the existing studs, which will then transfer the loads to the floor joists and then down to temporary studwalls on either side of the wall to be removed on the first floor? See this detail

Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-11, 01:15 PM
Old 11-17-11, 02:49 PM
Interesting. What is the second floor wall supporting? Are the 1st floor ceiling joists supported by the wall?

Old 11-18-11, 05:07 AM
the second floor wall supports the ceiling joists and attic floor...the roof load is transfered to the exterior perimeter walls. The wall to be removed does support the 1st floor ceiling joists (or 2nd floor floor joists).

here's what I am thinking now....detail 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 11-18-11, 08:26 PM
Before going wild with a drill and bolts (into the upper wall's studs), you might want to make a determination as to how much you will be (permanently) weakening those studs and the wall by doing so.

Old 11-20-11, 07:22 AM
Here is what I am thinking. Build temporary stud walls on either side of the load bearing wall on the 1st floor and on the 2nd floor. This will transfer support of the joists off the wall you need to work on to the temporary walls. Remove the wall on the first floor and put the new beam underneath the second floor stud wall. You probably should build temporary walls in the basement underneath the temp walls above to make sure you don't put too much weight in the middle of your first floor joists.

Here's another question. Do you intend for the new beam to be under the ceiling joists?