Header on None Load-bearing Wall

Old 02-04-12, 07:35 AM
Header on None Load-bearing Wall

I want to remove a couple of framing 2x4's between two eight foot wide garage doors, and replace them with a single 17' overhead door. The end-truss is about 3' above the garage door opening so there are two 2 x 12" beams being used as a header to frame in the wall above the doors. How can I determine if the existing 2 x 12's are sufficient to span the distance without replacing them with an LVL?
Thanks for the help,
Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-12, 04:42 PM
2x12 headers

I would recomend you ask the building inspector in your area. If you permit this job, he will be the one to turn it down or ok it. But I am curious,, how long are the 2x12's?

Old 02-04-12, 07:12 PM
A double 2 x 12 header is only good for a span of 16'-0", assuming no roof or floor being supported by it. Since your 17' door will require an 18' header (allowing for the support columns), I suspect your double 2 x 12s will require a slight bit of strengthening to increase the total moment of inertia and section modulus. Possibly adding a glued-and-screwed flat 2 x 4 on the bottom, and installing the header with any bowing facing upward--whatever makes your building inspector happy.

Old 02-05-12, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're talking less than $75 for LVL.....there's no way I'd trust dimension lumber for that span.

Old 02-05-12, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Each one has been very helpful in its own right.
Thanks again.