New landing

Old 02-11-12, 01:57 PM
New landing

I had an extension (bedroom) built on my house about 2 years ago. To get to the new bedroom, I have to step down 8" from the kitchen, (to the basement steps landing,) then back up again to the bedroom, only 6" here. I was thinking of building it up, so there would not be the 8" stepdown, but then I run into the 2" difference of the new bedroom area.
So anyone with thoughts on how I could, if possible, get around the transition? Can it be sloped? What would the strongest 3/4" flooring be (plywood, osb, other) that I could use, to make sure there is no movement at all when it is stepped on?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-12, 03:43 PM
Stuck between a rock and a hard place. You didn't mention the size of the landing area to be raised, but I suspect a 2" slope will definitely be noticeable and somewhat of a hazard to someone not expecting it. And having a 2" step riser is also not a good option as it would present a definite tripping hazard. Possibly a short ramp down into the bedroom from the raised landing would take care of the 2" difference, with a hand rail to help navigate.

Using 3/4" OSB ought to be firm enough, as long as the tapered 2x supports under it are close enough (12"?) together.

Old 02-12-12, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What happens to the basement stairs when you take away the landing?
As noted above, the framing under the plywood goes a long way towards determining the load it can carry.

Old 02-12-12, 09:22 AM
I had planned on adding one more step, coming up from the basement, so the steps would end on my new "platform". The landing itself is roughly 36" x 25".