Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing Pocket Door with for electrical box

VA

02-16-12, 08:43 AM   #1  
Installing Pocket Door with for electrical box

I am remodeling MB walk-in closet and I want a converging pocket door entrance. The wall is approx. 6.5 feet long. I need to be able to put an electrical box near the door. The wall is not constructed yet, so I can construct it wider than 2 x 4 if necessary to accomodate the depth of an electrical box.

Has anyone here built a pocket door Without using a kit?

I understand that there are certain parts I will need to purchase, but I'm just looking for a little help on doing the framing without a kit.

Thanks,

Greg

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-16-12, 09:43 AM   #2  
Can't you install the elec box on the other side of the door?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

02-16-12, 11:18 AM   #3  
A converging pocket door is a pocket door on each side of the opening, kind of like french doors.

Super Moderator

AZ

02-16-12, 11:29 AM   #4  
Well...if a shallow box would work and you can do a 2x6 wall...I think you can make it work.

The framing kits (Johnson Hardware is a good source) make everything soooo much easier.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NE

02-16-12, 02:09 PM   #5  
Why in the WORLD would you want to do it without a kit? Unless you are a glutton for punishment I don't understand your reasoning. I would start with a 2x6 wall on the ends, cripples and header (take the time to get the rough opening level and plumb), install a kit made for a 2x4 wall to one side of the wall (definitely use the Johnson Hardware) then fur out one side of the kit with framing ripped to 2" wide. This will give you enough room for a shallow box on one side of the pocket door.

When you attach the 2" furring to the kit, predrill the holes in the furring, use 2 1/2" screws and a little PL. You don't want the screws to penetrate the kit framing!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-16-12, 03:55 PM   #6  
converging pocket door
I missed the converging part

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

02-17-12, 04:59 AM   #7  
I have used the Johnson Kit in my basement for two other pocket doors and I couldn't agree more that they are a dream to install. Just wasn't sure how to use it for the application I needed.

XSleeper, that is a great idea. Should have thought of it myself. Sometimes I just need someone else to point out the obvious.

Thanks,
Greg

Search this Thread