Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Flooring, what to do???

OH

02-23-12, 12:08 PM   #1  
Flooring, what to do???

Hello, I'm looking for advice regarding my flooring issue.
My house was built back in the late 50s, floors are starting to creak which is expected. I would just put some screws into the floor to secure them but for whatever reason tile was installed
in every room. I have popped up a tile to see what is underneath and I'm assuming its tar
paper of some form or fashion.
Needless to say, removing the tiles and paper would be a huge pita, not to mention the tile
may be made of asbestos. In addition to creaking I've noticed some spots that seem to sag.
I can see it in the carpet, I'm assuming over time the subfloor settled over the joist and caused the tile crack and this is what I'm seeing...if anybody can offer some suggestions id appreciate it. Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-23-12, 01:33 PM   #2  
What kind of tile, ceramic, VCT, linoleum?? If it is ceramic or porcelain and all there us underneath is tarpaper, you may have more trouble in the near future. Fill us in. Do you have access to under the floor?

OH

02-23-12, 01:39 PM   #3  
My bad! Good old, ugly linolium and I do have access underneath

Last edited by Jostan; 02-23-12 at 02:28 PM.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-23-12, 02:42 PM   #4  
Do you have plans on covering over or doing a different floor, such as hardwoods, tile in kitchen and bath, etc. I would take a road trip underneath with a good light and assess what is going on. Do your supports seem adequate? Are there gaps between the joisting and the subflooring? What type subflooring do you have, sheet or individual angled boards?? Probably the latter with a plywood layer on top. Just a few questions for you to chew on . Let us know, we may be able to help.

CANADA

02-24-12, 08:27 AM   #5  
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I have a similar issue.
House built in the 1930's, original strip hardwood runs north south, with what looks like ~8" wide (1" thick?) tongue and groove plank floor boards that run diagonal (south west to north east).
I have full access to the underside (unfinished basement) and don't want to mess with the hardwood if I can avoid it.

Search this Thread