Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Renovating/expanding garage built with true 2x4 wood

CANADA

02-24-12, 07:51 AM   #1  
Renovating/expanding garage built with true 2x4 wood

So my big plans of tearing down the old, building the garage I want is not going to be happening as expected. We had just bought this house, knowing the garage was not going to be able to replace the 1.5 car garage I had at the old place (old house had a 10yrs old detatched garage, heated, with electricity and a perfect concrete floor). The one I have now is about the same size (a bit longer maybe), but is dity floor, tin siding and roof (with holes), no power and what looks to be a roof that needs replacement (see pics below).

Being that I will be able to slowly put money into making it my dream garage, I am going to look at expanding what I have and go from there. The problem being, all the studs, trusts, etc are old (true) 2"x4".

How can I compensate for the smaller 2x4s now available when some of the walls will contain the old wood?

Here is what I currently have for a garage (pictures taken when we viewed the place before purchasing)

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-12, 09:04 AM   #2  
You can either go to a local sawmill and buy true 2x4s or use the smaller lumber yard 2x4 and rip some 1/2" plywood to shim it out even.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

02-24-12, 09:09 AM   #3  
Posted By: marksr You can either go to a local sawmill and buy true 2x4s or use the smaller lumber yard 2x4 and rip some 1/2" plywood to shim it out even.
I think the shims might be the more cost effective method, but a pain. I think the true 2x4 could be costly but I will check the local lumber mills before selecting a direction.

I'm pretty much looking to double the width of the garage (depth I think is ~28' currently). Unfortunately I won't have the ~$10k (plus floor/foundation) as I was planning to tear down and build new. Now it'll be a couple hundred per pay check going into materials and hammer swinging when time and materials permit.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-12, 09:20 AM   #4  
I haven't been to sawmill in a 2-3 yrs but here locally they are always cheaper than the lumber yard/big box. The only issues with sawmill lumber is it isn't kiln dried and depending on the sawmill, the width/dept may vary some..... and you always have to square up the ends and cut to length.

Is the siding aluminum? if so, I'd expect it to bring a pretty penny if you decide to replace it.

CANADA

02-24-12, 09:25 AM   #5  
There are a couple saw mills in my area (this little town I moved into was a lumber town originally) so it'll be work a look at minimum.
As for the siding, I don't know if it is aluminum or tin or what. There is no rust or corosion but it does have a few holes in it. It's attached to the garage by screws, screwed straight into the studs. I do want to replace it. Probably with plywood then eventually siding to match the house. I am assuming I'll get a box of beer or so if I bring it to a scrap yard. Really not looking forward to removing all them damn screws though.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-12, 09:35 AM   #6  
7-8 yrs ago my brother in law remodeled a house and tore off all the aluminum siding. If I remember correctly, a pickup load brought me about $90. A magnet should tell you if it's steel or aluminum. I haven't seen any in years but it looks like the aluminum siding/roofing that was popular for a short time years ago.

CANADA

02-24-12, 09:40 AM   #7  
I will have to check when I get some time. Been so busy I haven't really been able to start looking at the garage, what I can save, and what has to go. I know with my tools, car and sports gear (mtn bikes, kayaks, etc) that the existing garage will not be good for working in or even really mounting stuff too.

If I can get a box of beer in return for the scape metal, it'll be all good for me. Better then paying tipping fees at the dump.

Search this Thread