Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Load Bearing Wall

GA

02-27-12, 01:58 PM   #1  
Replacing Load Bearing Wall

I am going to finish my basement in the near future and am looking to do everything myself. I have a 2x6 wall that runs perpendicular to my floor system joist. There are two sections of floor system joist join / sit on the 2 x 6 wall. I am looking to replace a section approx 20ft with a beam. I could go with just 13 ft but would like to extend all the way to the 20ft. How can I determine the correct beam to use in this situation. I assume it will be an LVL of some sorts.
The house is a ranch home with nothing above the main floor. If you need any information I have not provided please let me know.

Thanks
CL

Sponsored Links

OR

02-28-12, 07:23 PM   #2  
Using a Weyerhaeuser Parallam PSL beam, 3-1/2" wide x 18" deep, ought to work for a 20' span, based on values from their catalog. You would do best to contact either a local retail vendor or their Engineering/Sales people at 800.628.3997 to confirm availability in your area. The PSL stuff is a bit pricey, at close to $30 a foot ($600 for your span) the last time I priced it.

As an alternative, you might consider shopping around for a salvage steel beam that would work equally well while possibly being somewhat cheaper. Doing so would also save some headroom, as I suspect a sufficiently strong WF beam would only need to be 10" or 12" deep. If you go that route, best to have an engineer crunch the numbers for you to come up with a minimum size that will work for your loading conditions.

Search this Thread