Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing Door RO in low ceiling basement... Ideas?

CT

03-01-12, 04:12 PM   #1  
Framing Door RO in low ceiling basement... Ideas?

Hey Guys,

I'm framing in my basement renovation, and I am about to cut in ROs for the doors. The probelm is, I have only ~81" from subfloor to the botom of the top plates. From what I understand, the door ROs for prehung 30"x80" should be about 32"x82.5"... Clearly I have a problem.

That said, should I search around for a 78" door, or should I get a proper 80" solid door and take about an inch off the bottom and the jamb...?

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

03-01-12, 04:56 PM   #2  
81" from subfloor to the botom of the top plates.
If you have a double top plate above the RO, remove one so that you have a single top plate. Otherwise, cutting a little off a standard 80" prehung will work. Decide what you want the trim to look like and size it accordingly. You can cut enough off that you have a full piece of casing over the door, or jamb it right up against the ceiling so there is hardly any trim on top. Just depends which is more important to you- headroom, or looks. I prefer a full piece of casing myself, provided it doesn't get too low.

CT

03-01-12, 05:17 PM   #3  
Its only a single TP, non load bearing wall...
I guess I'll go with the shave on the bottom of the door. What size trim is standard and will require minimal cutting on the bottom of the door? I'd like to get in a full piece even with the side trim...

Group Moderator

NE

03-01-12, 07:34 PM   #4  
2 1/4" casing is usually standard, and that's measured from a 1/4" reveal on the jamb, making it 2 1/2" from the drywall on the ceiling to the bottom edge of your top jamb. (the top edge of the jamb would be 5/8 - 3/4" above that, depending on the jamb thickness). It's usually helpful to mark this out exactly on the framing so that you can visualize exactly where the jamb will be, and where the casing will be so that there are no mistakes. Once you have the top jamb marked out correctly so that you have room for your top casing, then measure up from the floor to figure out the length of the legs.

Don't assume your ceiling or floor are level unless you've checked them with a level. Sometimes one leg of the jamb needs to be cut longer than the other if the floor is out of level.

OR

03-02-12, 12:58 AM   #5  
And the door bottom trim piece will need to be cut at an angle to match the floor slope.

Search this Thread