Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best Type of Wood Flooring for Bathroom/Hallway??

MA

03-08-12, 06:28 AM   #1  
Best Type of Wood Flooring for Bathroom/Hallway??

I know very little about wood flooring aside from the fact that there are laminate, engineered wood, real wood, and everything in between. I'm looking for some advice here.

I'm going to be remodeling our upstairs bathroom soon which will include new flooring. Its an old house and I don't feel that the subfloor is up to the task of tile. Its a 1900 colonial with balloon construction.

There is currently linoleum in the bath and carpet in the hallway outside it. My hope is to be able to install hardwood flooring in the bathroom and hallway while the bedrooms will remain carpeted.

What type of flooring can survive the potential issues of a bathroom? I see issues such as a dripping shower curtain, regular water droplets from people drying themselves off, crazy kids splashing in the tub....and so on.

Obviously there will need to be some care taken when in the bathroom....like if you see water, clean it up. But am I crazy? Is one type of flooring more water resistant than another? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

03-08-12, 12:14 PM   #2  
I wouldn't put wood in a bathroom. If you can't tile, I'd go with vinyl - there are some pretty good looking vinyl products around these days which can look like wood or tile.

MA

03-12-12, 04:31 AM   #3  
The main reason for not choosing tile is that the floor is slightly slanted. The bathroom is on an outside wall and slants slightly towards the interior of the house. I suppose if I sanded down the high spots where the floor joists attach to the wall it may become a possibility.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-12-12, 05:41 AM   #4  
I don't know much about it but they sell floor leveling products. A good tile man can float a mud base to level the floor - I don't know how difficult it would be to diy

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread