Extending 2nd floor over foyer

Old 03-09-12, 11:53 AM
Extending 2nd floor over foyer

Currently, my house has a foyer that's opened to the 2nd floor, with stairs leading from the foyer to an open room at the top of the stairs. The bedrooms, master bath and guest bath are also upstairs. The open room has a railing that overlooks the foyer. Primarily for audio reasonsóI'm a musician/teacher with my studio downstairs which currently sends sound up through the foyer to the 2nd flooróbut also to get a little more floor space in the open room upstairs, I'm considering extending the 2nd floor over the foyer and building a wall between the upstairs and the stairwell and adding a door at the top of the stairs. I'm wondering how hard it would be to extend the upstairs floor this way, and if there are any potential problems like floor creaking, unevenness, etc. The new floor would be 6.5' x 5', and would have walls on all sides except for a portion of one side where the stairwell is. I'm not going to try to do this part of it, but will do the insulation, electrical (moving a plug), drywall, flooring myself and other finishing. I appreciate if anyone has some knowledge about this. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-12, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Is this a split foyer design? If so, what about your front door? Will it be an issue? What will be the floor to ceiling height at your landing to the new ceiling? It may not be tall enough to transverse to the other stairs.

Old 03-10-12, 04:36 AM
Thanks for your reply. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by split foyer design. There are only two floor levels, 1st & 2nd floor. The extended floor won't be in the way of anything except the window that's currently over the front door. That window will have to be removed and replaced with a shorter window positioned above the new 2nd floor extension. I'll probably want to put another, small window above the front door, but haven't decided like that. Either way, the outside appearance should be fine. Here's a link to pics of the foyer. MobileMe Gallery

Old 03-10-12, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kevin, as split foyer is a small landing with two sets of steps, one going up and one going down. Your pix indicates you don't have that, so you would be fine with the floor extension. One thing to consider, however, the window on the new upper level must be at least 18" above the floor or it will need to be changed to a tempered glass unit. I think by adding the floor, your window will be in the way and ultimately will be changed as you indicated.