Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Steel beam size for suspended glass floor (residential)

Old 03-19-12, 10:19 PM

Hi, i'm seeking to build a steel grid to hold 2'x2' glass squares. the beams would span an 8' opening at 20" spacing, 12' long. the glass is 24mm triple laminate at approx 11.3 lb/sq ft, for a total weight of 1100 lbs.

could anyone suggest what sort of steel beams would be used in an application like this?

thank you very much for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-12, 04:18 AM
Beam Size

Hire a structural engineer.

Old 03-20-12, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums!

The design for what you are proposing is not a diy endeavor.
The consequences would be not good if something in your plans went wrong.

As said, you do need professional help to come up with a solid plan.

Old 03-20-12, 06:09 AM
I've had an engineer do plans once for larger glass block size with wood beams used, really didn't like the design. so i'm asking this to get a rough idea of the materials involved going with steel and smaller block size so that i can first get material pricing to determine if i want to pursue getting this engineered. I've done far more complicated metal structural work than this by now, so i'm well aware of the risks, but thanks for advising nonetheless. just looking for a ballpark idea of which types of beams would be recommended so i can finish assembling material pricing. already have the glass specs down (from a structural engineer). thanks!

Old 03-29-12, 10:53 AM
Based on your description, it looks like you'll need 2 different beam sizes--beefier for the 12' "carrier" beams, and slightly smaller for the 8-footers tying into them. Can't give you beam sizes without knowing what grade steel you have, what your deflection criteria are, and the all-important connection details between members.

Old 03-29-12, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Go to a glass house or a place that sells four season rooms and solariums. They will probably be able to help you figure out what you need.