Moving a wall

Old 04-01-12, 12:00 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 389
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving a wall

I am doing some remodeling and seeking some advice on moving a wall. I have basically gutted one of my rooms. The drywall is gone. I can see the bare studs. I just want to demolish the framing on this wall, and then rebuild another a few feet away. I can handle getting threw drywall up myself.

What sort of professional do I need to contact to do the new framing? Handyman? Carpenter? Contractor?
Old 04-01-12, 05:12 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,964
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First you need to determine if this wall is load bearing or not. It quite possibly may not be movable. Could you post a few pictures (not closeups) of the room/wall, so we can see what you see. How is this wall in relation to your ceiling joisting? Does it run parallel or perpendicular to them? How close to the middle of the house is this wall? Just a few things to know.
If it turns out to be a possibility, if you can do sheetrock, you can do the framing. We can walk you through it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: