Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transition Question

MN

04-15-12, 07:04 PM   #1  
Transition Question

Remodeling a second floor bathroom. There is a significant slope in the floors towards the middle of the house, and the bedroom that leads to the bathroom has 1" hardwood floors. I've gutted the bathroom down to the joists and studs and will be installing a new subfloor.

I would like to install the new subfloor level.

Question: If I install the new subfloor level, and the bedroom on the other side of the door is seriously unlevel, how do I go about transitioning between the new and old floors? The distance is looking to be around 5/8" between new and old.

Any suggestions, or instructions on how to build a custom transition would be great. Pictures would be AWESOME.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

04-15-12, 07:16 PM   #2  
You didn't say what type of floor the bathroom is getting.

But regardless, you would simply install an angled oak threshold that would be flush with the wood floor at the doorway. This will connect the two different levels. Nothing complicated about it really. Your bathroom floor will end at the door (under the closed door) and the angled oak threshold will butt up to it, or lip over it, depending on how it finishes out.

MN

04-16-12, 03:58 PM   #3  
The bathroom floor will be tile.

I don't think I explained my main concern very well. The joists are such that when I level the bathroom floor, the only reasonable height I can use will mean that the new bathroom floor will be a quarter of an inch below the bedroom floor at one end of the doorway, and about a quarter of an inch above the bedroom floor at the other end.

So I think that making a proper transition will require making up for the gaps at each end of the door. One side the bathroom will be higher, the other lower.

Does this make sense? If so, would your response change? I'm still having trouble envisioning the final product and how to make it.

Group Moderator

NE

04-16-12, 04:43 PM   #4  
So when you say one side will be 1/4" lower... and one end 1/4" higher, is that finish floor on the bedroom side to subfloor on the bathroom side? Or finish floor to finish tile? or what?

NJ

04-16-12, 05:10 PM   #5  
How big are the tiles? I think I would try to get the tiles to be flush with the wacky bedroom floor. Try to feather it out as best as I could in front of the doorway. A 1/4" doesn't seem like it would be very noticeable.

MN

04-22-12, 05:16 PM   #6  
Thanks for the responses, you've made my decision easier.

Search this Thread