Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What is This Framing Part of My Attic Called??? (Diagram Inside)

MA

04-23-12, 12:45 PM   #1  
What is This Framing Part of My Attic Called??? (Diagram Inside)

I have an old 1900 1.5 story Colonial that had blown-in insulation installed about 30 years ago. On the second floor there is a half wall that the roof rafters connect to. The insulation blown in to the ceiling cavity between the half wall and the attic is plugged tight.

The air can't pass underneath the sheathing and has led to some moisture and mold issues. I need to hire someone with a insulation removal vacuum to come in and remove this insulation so I can start from scratch and do it right.

Anyways, so I'd like to sound half way educated when I talk to these people. What is the correct terminology for the area I am describing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-23-12, 02:33 PM   #2  
The colored part of the drawing is a "rafter". The space between the rafters is called a "rafter bay". Is that what you needed?

MA

04-23-12, 04:41 PM   #3  
Thats the term! Thank you! The only access to it is from the attic and its 7 feet deep from the floor of the attic to the soffit. I'm too deep/awkward to scoop out more than a foot or so. The rest will have to be vacuumed out.

I can rent a "Insulation Removal Vacuum" from Sunbelt but its going to run be $250 for a day. I'm interested to see what I would get for a quote to have someone remove it for me.

Heck...considering I'd have to rent an insulation blower to put new insulation back in there after I remove the existing and install rafter vents. It might be worth my while to have them quote the entire job.

We'll see. How much price gouging is there in the blown-in insulation industry?

NJ

04-23-12, 05:17 PM   #4  
I had my first floor done and I though it was cheap for what they were doing. If I recall correctly, it was about 1500 to blow it into my walls.

MA

04-24-12, 03:23 AM   #5  
I took a look at those "online cost helpers" and was surprised! Of course those have to be taken with a large grain of salt but it was much less than I had thought. In central MA it said blown-in insulation was 80 cents per square foot at a 8" thickness.

The rafters are rough cut 2x6's. Of course there will be some additional labor to account for the 4ft ceiling height in the attic and the general awkwardness but even if the price was double the online guestimate I would only be looking at $460. Then whatever the labor is to vacuum out the existing stuff.

It would cost me closer to $1000 to rent the special vacuum for removal, rent a insulation blower for a couple days plus the insulation itself. Depending on the quotes I get, this may be the first time I let someone else work on my house.

Search this Thread