Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom floor crack

IL

05-07-12, 10:37 AM   #1  
Bathroom floor crack

First time buyer. Can someone please help? Thank you very much.

I found a house which seems to have rotten bathroom floor. The floor is cracked and appears to settlement. Is this a serious problem? How difficult and expensive is it to repair? Can it be a DIY project?

Thank you very much!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

05-07-12, 11:39 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

Might be settling, might be a bad installation, might be insufficient subfloor or structure, might be a water leak.

IL

05-07-12, 11:48 AM   #3  
Thanks so much for your quick help. I'm looking to buy this house, it is listed as-is so how difficult and expensive is it to repair/replace the floor and subfloor? Should I be concerned about it?

Thank you again!

OR

05-07-12, 11:49 AM   #4  
You need to first look underneath (in basement or crawlspace) to determine the extent of damage. Long-term plumbing leaks can rot out flooring, subflooring and even the tops of floor joists. Nothing is impossible to correct, with the right approach and proper replacement materials. Might require all plumbing fixtures being removed (including tub) to replace flooring members underneath, if damage is that extensive.

IL

05-07-12, 12:24 PM   #5  
This is an 1 story house so I can't see the underneath of the bathroom. I'm looking to buy this house but I will have to repair this myself. Could you help to estimate the maximum repair cost for the floor/sub-floor replacement? The foundation of the house seems to be in good condition, I don't see any other crack inside or outside.

Thank you!

Group Moderator

WI

05-07-12, 12:27 PM   #6  
Short answer is no - there's just too many variables involved.

Is this house on a concrete slab?

IL

05-07-12, 12:38 PM   #7  
Yes, it's on a concrete slab.

Thank you!

Group Moderator

WI

05-07-12, 12:57 PM   #8  
That simplifies some of it, we shouldn't be dealing with rotted floor joists or anything like that underneath.

Really, though, there's just no knowing until you tear into this. That said, we can walk you through everything I can envision being needed to remedy this.

IL

05-07-12, 01:11 PM   #9  
Oops, sorry I answered too quickly. I only see the outside foundation slab and I don't know if it's a concrete slab or not, but I doubt it is because I can jump on the living room floor and it goes down then up.

Thanks for your help.

Group Moderator

WI

05-07-12, 01:15 PM   #10  
Yep, possibilities just opened up again.

I would see if you can find out what's below this and, if possible, get under there to take a look.

IL

05-07-12, 01:21 PM   #11  
I'll ask my agent to see if he can get information on the foundation.

Thanks so much for all your help!

OR

05-07-12, 05:51 PM   #12  
If it's on a crawlspace, there will be an access hatch (small square or rectangular door) somewhere. Either on an exterior wall just above the ground, or sometimes even on the floor of a bedroom closet, often hidden with a scrap of carpet matching the rest of the floor's carpet.

IL

05-08-12, 10:11 AM   #13  
It was built n 1974 so I'm not sure if it has an accessible crawlspace. I'll look around the house. Thank you.

IL

05-13-12, 03:55 PM   #14  
I'll have to pass on this house, found other problems, other than the bathroom, the other floor is bouncing, there are water leaks in the kitchen ceiling, the attic above is wet with black mold. And maybe there are hidden problem. Will cost a lot too repair all this. Thanks all for your help.

Search this Thread