Sub-flooring and adding new flooring problem

Old 05-25-12, 01:44 PM
Sub-flooring and adding new flooring problem

Okay so I want to add bamboo flooring and i'm afraid i might have some more issues than i thought it did. Number one the sub-floor is like at least fifty years old so yes it is some what rotten not a big deal.

The big deal is that since the wood is old its shifted in some places so the corners are sticking up Is this a problem and how do i fix this? Will foam layering cover this up.

Another problem the hardwood sub-floor is covered throughout the house in fifty year old yellow glue. Since i'm adding new floor i don't think that would be a problem, you wont see it.

Then in two rooms the floor is a bit loose. like if you jump in that room everything in that room shakes and the floor creeks. I haven't seen that part of the sub-floor yet. i'm too afraid to look. I have carpet down right now.

How do i fix loose flooring? If i need materials which ones. (I hope it's not due to termits because I saw one a month ago. If i do have termits how i get them out of my house?

This probably sounds like a lot of questions but this house is a mess.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-12, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'd take up the hardwood and fix the structure underneath before putting anything else down.

Old 05-25-12, 04:00 PM
Number one the sub-floor is like at least fifty years old so yes it is some what rotten not a big deal.
Sub-flooring should not rot if the space under the house is properly drained, sealed and otherwise maintained.

How do i fix loose flooring?
If it won't be seen again, you can screw it down just like sub-flooring. If it will be seen, drive flooring nails at an angle through the tongues of the loose boards, through the sub-flooring, and into the joists. Then sink them enough to fill with putty. But first you need to make sure that there is sound framing underneath.

I haven't seen that part of the sub-floor yet.
Time to have a look. Can you get below that area? Take an awl with you and probe the joists to check for soundness.

I hope it's not due to termits because I saw one a month ago. If i do have termits how i get them out of my house?
If you saw a termite then you almost certainly have termite damage. Call the best exterminating company you or your neighbors know. Tell them you want a termite inspection, a treatment if needed, and a termite letter. That's a letter certifying that the home has been treated and is free of termites. If they find structural damage they may offer you an estimate to repair it. Tell them you'll be happy to consider it.

If your house has termites and needs to be treated, the neighborly thing to do is to tell the folks living closest to you that you're doing that. They might want to have their houses protected too, if they aren't already, so that the termites you evict won't just move in with them.

Old 05-25-12, 04:42 PM
this is some good advice, thank you.

Old 05-25-12, 07:01 PM
You're welcome. That's why we're here. Thank you for telling us that you found it useful.

Looking back over your original post and our replies, I've realized that there are some things we didn't think to include earlier.

First of all, the pest control company will almost certainly ask you to enter into a contract with them for ongoing - probably annual - re-inspections and renewed treatments. This is especially true because you are asking them for a termite letter. They will probably say that their giving you a termite letter is contingent on your accepting that contract. That isn't a scam, and it isn't just a marketing ploy.

Think of it this way: If your house has termite damage, and the company treats the house and repairs the damage (or you do - more about that later), then your house has been determined to have the structural equivalent of bone cancer. It has received the radiation needed to halt the cancer, and the bone grafts and steel plates needed to make everything work as it did before. But it now needs the immune system boosters needed to help prevent the cancer from returning.

Bottom line: When they tell you "No contract, no letter," believe them. Their reputation depends on making sure that the guarantee they make in that letter is good, and they just can't do that unless they come back and check every year.

Second, what good is that letter to you? Well, it is the standard of proof to the insurance and real estate industries. You may be planning on never selling this house, but things happen and your heirs may have different needs. In the meantime, though, you should be able to negotiate a lower premium on your homeowner's insurance by giving your provider a copy of the letter. In fact, if your current provider doesn't offer that savings, it's time to shop for another company.

Here's the "more about that later" part: IMX, some pest control companies insist on doing the identified repairs themselves (their contractor). Others will let you do the repairs and agree to issue the letter if your work passes their inspection. If you think the work is something you, or someone you know and trust, could do better, or for less, or both, then be aware that there's a window within which it must be done. If everything isn't done, approved and accepted within a year (almost certainly) then the company will essentially say that they're ready to start over, as though nothing had been done before.

Since the cost of the initial inspection and treatment is usually a lot higher than the annual cost of the maintenance work, making sure you can actually get the work done within, say, six months, is something you should keep clearly in mind as you're negotiating to do the work yourself.