Cutting Metal Studs

Old 05-25-12, 03:19 PM
Cutting Metal Studs

I just finished gutting a house and after jacking a floor up I'm going to put the metal studs back on the walls. Of course, now that the rooms dimensions have changed all of those studs are going to have to trimmed. So I've been cutting these things with a pair of aviation snips and there getting a little dull. Since I have more than 100 to go I thought I would ask for recommendations about the best method to cut metal studs. Of course, if I have the right kind of snips, does anybody recommend a brand or model. I'm not adverse to spending money on something good.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-12, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well...a metal cutting chop saw is what I see the most. About $100 for a basic model...at Harbor Freight or similar....maybe $150 on sale at the bigger box stores.

Old 05-25-12, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Or a circular saw with a plywood blade installed backwards. Squirt a little WD40 as you cut. You can get a 7" steel metal cutting blades but I always kept a few dull plywood blades for things like this. I would advise against carbide metal blades because the are too quickly used up.

I am probably admitting guilt of tool abuse but I have also use a 12" blade backwards in a miter saw.

Old 05-25-12, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What Ray said. I use a 10" Hitachi slider set up on a long run off table with handles on the ends. We set it on saw horses and use a plywood blade backwards on it for metal studs and vinyl siding. Tool abuse??? Maybe. Adapt, improvise, overcome. Oh, using a carbide blade will cause the carbide teeth to possibly loosen and come flying off. Prime target areas are the face

Old 05-25-12, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear when I mentioned carbide metal blade I meant a solid carbide disk not a wood blade with carbide teeth.