Is this header properly supported??

Old 05-29-12, 04:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this header properly supported??

I'm doing some remodeling and I discovered that the previous owners of my house replaced a load bearing wall with a header to combine 2 rooms. The header spans approximately 13' and is supported on each end with a double 2x4. Is this enough support or should I perhaps add an additional 4x4 on each end for additional support? Hear is some additional info:

- The house is 1 1.5 story bungalow. Above the header is a bedroom.
- The header is a double 2x12 LVL material
- The double 2x4 supports are directly above floor joists on top of the main support beam in the basement

Let's assume the support beam is strong enough to support the load above. What I'm trying to find out is if the beam itself is properly supported by the 2x4s.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 05-29-12, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Sounds like it was done right to begin with. You also would not use 4x4's as trimmers.

Old 05-30-12, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree, although I sure would like to see a couple of pix to clear the fog. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-30-12, 05:48 AM
D
I attached some photos for reference.

The other support beam you see in the photo is being used to raise the floor above an inch or so. When the main header was installed, the installer notched some of the floor joists above to accomodate the beam. The notch was so deep in some of the joists that the joists are suspended ABOVE the header and not resting on it. I am raising the sagging joists and then I will sister a supporting floor joist on each one. It is this remodeling folly that makes me question the integrity of the trimmers.

Attached Images    
Old 05-30-12, 04:38 PM
The LVL is fine. How many do you have sandwiched? I can't tell from the photograph. I would like to see one more layer of support inboard. Looks like 2 2x's and it is better to rest it on 3, IMO. Does this support go all the way to a footing below? On both ends? Was there a wood burning stove there at one point, and is that a brick chimney in the wall on pix #3?

Old 05-30-12, 05:52 PM
D
There are 2 LVLs sandwiced together. The support on the left side (2 2x4s) goes down to the foundation; the basement does not extend all the way underneath the left side. The right side (2 2x4s) sits directly on top a floor joist (2x8) which sits directly on top of the main support beam (8x8) in the basement. Between the support beam and the basement floor is a 2x4 wall. Yup that's a brick chimney and I'm assuming there was a wood burning stove there at one point but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-30-12, 06:47 PM
Is your user name a play on Damocles of Greek fame? Curious. Never sit under a sword suspended by single hair
I should say you have the support necessary, of course without looking at it. Double LVL is sufficient support.

Old 05-30-12, 08:33 PM
D
Yeah I had to choose a user name for a site a while back and I wanted to use 'Damocles' but it wasn't available so I picked 'Demmecles' instead. I've just stuck with it ever since. I've been a fan of the story especially since Mr. Burns mentioned dangling the sword of Damocles over Homer Simpson's head

Thanks again for the help!
-Alex

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: