Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cement Slab/Subfloor

MI

05-30-12, 03:13 AM   #1  
Cement Slab/Subfloor

I have a cabin in northern michigan, sitting on a cement slab. I want to put a subfloor on top of the slab and then cover it with laminate flooring. What are some suggestions on how to do this. I was thinking of putting down vapor barrier, then use furring strips, then use 1/2" OSB on furring strips, then the laminate flooring. I want to get the subfloor off of the cement slab so that it is not so cold in the winter. Will this work? any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-30-12, 03:18 AM   #2  
How dry is the slab? Have you done a moisture test? 2' x 2' piece of clear plastic taped down on all edges for at least 24 hours. Rather than furring strips (which are fine), you could cover the slab with rigid foam panels, taping at the seams, lay your plywood on top, gluing to the xps. I am concerned about driving fasteners into a perfectly good vapor barrier. Have you considered the height change at doorways, etc.?

MI

05-30-12, 04:04 AM   #3  
I have not done a moisture test, I will try that. The slab has been in place for 50 years. You say to use foam panels but I would be concerned that they could not handle a load, say for instance cabinets, I would think that they would compress over time. I did think of putting down the furring strip 1x3 16" on center and then in between them using the foam panels as insulation. The furring strips would have to be mounted to the slab, what is best for this? ramset? So I am thinking that vapor barrier goes down first, then the furring strips, then the OSB. I agree there is some concern with driving fasteners into the vapor barrier but is there another option? I dont have a concern with moisture, the slab is on sandy soil in northern michigan.

MI

05-30-12, 05:50 AM   #4  
I have also been looking at the dri-core system, what do you think of that? it seems costly but effective. If I use that i think that I will still put a vapor barrier underneath it.

MI

05-30-12, 07:03 AM   #5  
So I am thinking of getting the delta-fl system but I wonder if I should still put polystytrene and osb on top of it. The end result is laminate flooring which can be applied directly over the delta-fl system, however my concern is that in the winter is it going to be to cold? I could not use the polystyrene and just put 1/2"OSB on top of the delta-fl system, thoughts? Is that overkill? should I just put the laminate floor on the delta-fl system? will that be warm enough in the cold michigan winters?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-30-12, 03:33 PM   #6  
Dricore is an excellent product. Yeah it'll bite you in the wallet, but better to have a really good product down than to drive a kazillion holes in a vapor barrier, wouldn't you say? Then figure the long run cost if your system failed. Not happy.
With the dricore and Delta systems, you won't have as much cold from the concrete since you will have air movement between the two surfaces. This is insulation.

Search this Thread