Post for Microlam Beam

Old 06-01-12, 07:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post for Microlam Beam

Hello-
I've a load bearing wall that has been replaced by Microlam beam. It turns out the contractor slightly undersized the beam and due to some other circumstances (old house framing) - it would be difficult to use the next bigger size. I would rather just place a 4x4 post midway through the span for extra support. How do I frame/attach it? Particularly at the footing. The old wall had multiple openings in it, so there are inconsistent areas of subfloor (where the old plates were) and hardwood.

Old 06-02-12, 06:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Give us some specs on the room and the lam beam. How tall? How long in uninterrupted span? How many layers? You may even want to post some pix so we can see what you see.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-02-12, 04:07 PM
T
Will work on getting pics later this evening.
The span is 13' 8". The beam is 3 1/2 x 11 7/8. Building dept saying i need to move up to 5 1/4 wide for that span (supporting 2nd story and attic) Not sure what you mean by 'layers'

I guess my question, in general, is when you are opening a span - how do you support the posts? Surely you can't just place them anywhere on the floor. And i wouldn't think you can place them over a single joist each, right? That would be transferring the load of what many joists were previously supporting to now just 2 or 3...

Old 06-02-12, 05:04 PM
"layers" same as double or triple beam. It appears you have a double LVL, and the inspector says you need a triple. That is common. If you have the ability to add one more LVL then you won't be needing a post. Any post you add will need support borne all the way down to a footing in the crawl/basement. Not sitting on a concrete floor, but a poured approved footing. I would entertain the third LVL first.

Old 06-02-12, 05:17 PM
T
ok here are some pics:

So, I tried to illustrate the problem of why it is difficult to add the third layer - in one direction, there isn't enough room on top of the existing post, and half of the joists sitting on it would only be resting on 2/3 of the width of the beam (does that matter?)
and in the other direction, i would be fully supporting the joists - but the the beam sits right next to an existing wall.

Old 06-02-12, 05:53 PM
I see your problem. A post added will need through support, so have you checked underneath to see if there is a possibility of carrying that weight to footings?

Old 06-04-12, 08:54 AM
T
Eh. Not that easy. There is a beam in the basement running in the same direction as the beam im installing here. It would be great to put a column underneath that beam and secure the post on top of it. But, for whatever reason, they are misaligned by a few inches. So the new post would only rest halfway on the beam. sigh.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: