Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Need header advice for french doors replacing window

Old 06-09-12, 03:45 PM

We're putting French Doors in where a big window used to be. The header for the window is full size meaning 3 1/2 x 7 1/4, not sandwiched 2x4's with 1/2 ply in-between. So girth is fine. The window is 72x40 and the door rough opening is 60x80. The door is narrower than the window so do I just put 2 jack studs on each side butting under the header? The header is an inch low so I'm going to trim an inch off the bottom for the rough opening only. So I could notch the header for the outer jack studs more but thinking it's only 6 inches on each side so it should be fine with 2 studs.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-12, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Installation of double studs on either side of the new door is fine. You will be taking out your bottom plate as well, along with all the cripples where your window was. What would be the measurement from the subflooring to the bottom of the header? Make sure your new studs are perfectly plumb. Most door installations call for an opening 2" wider than the door itself. If you have the french door in house, Try to make your opening really close to the frame so a minimal number of shims would be necessary. It will help when you set it and will allow you to firm up the hinges to alleviate sagging of the doors.

Old 06-09-12, 11:37 PM
The measurement to the bottom of the header from the sub-flooring is 79". I'm getting the doors on the 19th and plan on sheet rocking the room tomorrow so that it can all be painted and ready to go by the time the doors arrive. The doors are Milgard and the rough is 60x80. Since I have to rock it tomorrow I can only go by what they give me and I will make the studs plumb. Yes, the less shims the better and as I remember, only shim the sides and bottom for level but you let the top float with no screws; the nails for the trim is all that's up there.

I figured the 2 studs would be enough but wanted some confirmation so thanks!

Old 06-10-12, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the opening is only 79" high - how do you intend to install an 80" tall door? much less the door jamb and stop above the door??

Old 06-10-12, 08:29 AM
That's the rough opening! I'm trimming an inch off a 7" header.