Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Raising Floor in Wash Room

AZ

06-22-12, 06:13 PM   #1  
Raising Floor in Wash Room

A friend has a house with a unique problem. The house brick walled and elevated about 3' from ground level. The car port is at ground level and has a small (8'x10') storage room at the end that has been converted to a wash room. The ceiling in the wash room is about 11 feet because entire roof is one unit. The wash room is a separate room with an access door and steps into dining room. The washroom/carport floor appears to be a solid cement slab. We want to raise the washroom floor approximately 3' to match rest of house. This wash room has a washer, dryer, and 30 gal water heater along one wall.

Question: can someone tell me what kind of subfloor structure we would need to build? Maybe an on-line guide someplace. We would like to put in a solid floor and tile it to match dining room. Thanks for any info. If need more info just ask.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

06-22-12, 08:25 PM   #2  
When you say 'match [the] dining room' do you mean exact match or you just want tile in both rooms? My question is because finding more tile can be a nightmare even a few months later.

AZ

06-22-12, 08:39 PM   #3  
We have the extra tile luckily. We just want to build up the floor and then tile it. Probably put in a new door with treshold to cover the joint between the two floors.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-23-12, 05:00 AM   #4  
You'd want to use 2x8s for the floor joists and with tile you'd want 2 layers of plywood so the floor is good and solid [no flex] You'd also need to allow room for your cement board to keep it all level with the rest of the house. The carpenters will probably chime in later with more/better info for you

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-23-12, 05:50 AM   #5  
Clarification. The doorway has a 3' drop from the dining room to the wash room??? Is this a "carport" or a garage with walls and door? Pictures sure would help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

AZ

06-23-12, 07:23 AM   #6  
It's a normal room with walls and main house roof at the end of a carport. The carport slab extends into the room.

I got the joist and subfloor pretty much figured out like you stated. It's the support structure filling that approximate 2 foot gap and supporting the joists I'm wondering about. Don't know if you would just use piers like on a deck or if something else would be required.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-23-12, 09:31 AM   #7  
I'd use tap cons to secure the rim [?] joist to the brick with a few vertical 2x4s under them for added support. I'd also frame out an access door in case you ever need to work on the plumbing from the bottom side.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

07-11-12, 07:56 AM   #8  
splais-

as chandler said, some pictures would provide a clearer image of what you are trying to do. maybe it's just me, but your last comment did not make sense...

also, your profile says yuma, so i presume this project is in arizona? what about insulation to keep the heat out?

AZ

07-11-12, 08:05 AM   #9  
Yes, I am in Yuma, but the project is in Mississippi. I will be there next week and can get some pictures then. I don't understand what is so difficult about this. forget about all the if's or but's about the floor and the roof etc. The question is simple at it's base We have a small room (8x10) that we want to raise the floor 3'. the room has a washer, dryer and water heater in it. What kind of support struture is required under the subfloor I would put in to tile over.

Search this Thread