Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

My walls are off by over an inch, is this within acceptable "tolerance"?

Old 07-09-12, 11:38 PM

Last year I hired someone to do some framing in this house that I am remodeling. Most of the interior walls are newly framed with PT 2x4 bottom plate, the rest non-PT 2x4s, standard wood studded wall. On the south side of the room I have a concrete block wall, but in order to run plumbing and electrical I also erected a wood studded wall against the block wall.

This morning I was laying out some recessed lights and ceiling furring strips, and I measured from the east wall and the middle wall (the one with a pocket door), and for some reason I noticed the dimensions didn't add up the same on the north side versus the south side.

Out of curiosity I decided to measure all the dimensions carefully along the north side and the south side.

I have basically a ~60" wide shower area, followed by a 2x4 spline there (for the shower door), then about ~83" to the pocket bathroom door, then a hallway that's ~32" wide, then a ~78" closet.

The north side dimensions are:

Shower - 60"
2x4
Bathroom outside shower - 83-3/8"
2x4 pocket door
Hallway - 32-3/4"
2x4 wall
Closet - 77-3/4"

The south side dimensions are:

Shower - 59-3/4"
2x4
Bathroom outside shower - 82-5/8"
2x4 pocket door
Hallway - 32-5/8"
2x4 wall
Closet - 78-1/2"

A pictorial sketch.

Now looking at this, obviously the walls to both sides of the hallway are off a bit, by a little over an inch.

So now I have two questions.

First, is this within acceptable tolerance? I know this is probably subjective so I am looking for opinions and probably will base my action on how many YESes and how many NOs. My hunch is this is too much off.

Next, if this is to be fixed, I don't think furring or shimming those two walls here and there will give me something nice and square, especially with the pocket door there.

There are a lot of wood braces and framing on the south walls, I got sewer vent pipes, electrical conduits, central vac pipes all going through the top plates, where I had drilled round holes for them. Moving points "C" and "D" in the diagram to the right/east by an inch will be a real pain. Not only I have to tear out the wall and all the braces, as well as remove all the connections to the masonry wall, I have to cut or disconnect all the pipes and conduits as they are not going to move.

So that leaves the north wall. I can move points "A" and "B" by an inch to the left/west. Will have to take apart a bunch of plates and studs, and will need to remove the pocket door but it may be more manageable.

The bottom plates are secured to the concrete slab foundation via 4" long tapcon screws. I think some of the tapcon screw heads are now hidden behind the foot print of studs. I am wondering if I should remove all the studs to expose those screw heads to back them out, or just try to slide a sawzall blade under the bottom plate to cut them out?

Any thoughts, hints, comments would be greatly appreciated before I dive in on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-12, 02:01 AM
so your saying the north side dimensions are 1 3/8 '' longer?
but even if you did move points A and B 1'' to the west, wouldnt the overall distance from the west of the shower room to the east of the closet still be the same?
what is the measurement of the east side dimension? i see west side is 86''

me personally do not think 1 3/8 '' is toooo much off
put together a shed but we never could get the square closer than off by 1/4 ''
next shed was 3/4''

Old 07-10-12, 04:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it is off it is off. They make things called "framing squares" to ensure squareness of walls, etc. Obviously your contractor used the monolith or CMU walls to be "gospel" and worked off them. Your framing should be square, no doubt. You will have a bear of a time with floor tile in the shower and bathroom, and it will not look right. Not acceptable.
We built framing for a 54' long church once and my guys had a fit because the foundation was out of square by 1/4" in 54' I assured them we could make that up.

Old 07-10-12, 04:52 AM
so your saying the north side dimensions are 1 3/8 '' longer?
but even if you did move points A and B 1'' to the west, wouldnt the overall distance from the west of the shower room to the east of the closet still be the same?
what is the measurement of the east side dimension? i see west side is 86''
The exterior walls are fine and square. East and west walls are both about 86".

The total dimensions, adding all of them up on north and south sides are about the same as well.

As you can see, the bathroom area outside the shower, the north side is longer by about an inch, then for the closet, the south side is longer. So what is off are the hallway walls.