pass-thru in wall

Old 08-13-12, 09:59 AM
pass-thru in wall

I'm redoing my kitchen- It's a ranch so above the kitchen just an attic. (below the kitchen in slab)... the room next to kitchen is dining room- We want to cut a hole in the wall between the 2 rooms (like a window) so you can see into either room- The wall appears load bearing but no rooms above it- I know I have to build a header there when building the frame for the window pass-thru. I will be cutting probably 3-4 studs during construction- Do I need to temporarly support/jack anything up during this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-12, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
I doubt it, that's not a very big opening. But you will probably want to put a 2x6 header over the opening when you frame it back in, regardless. The header will be at least 3" longer than your rough opening, will fit between king studs on each side (full length 2x4's from bottom plate to top plate) and should be supported by a 2x4 trimmer on each end.

Depending on which way the wall runs, your ceiling joists either rest on this wall, or are perpendicular to this wall and don't even touch it. If the ceiling joists rest on the wall that you are cutting out, their dead load is the only weight pushing down on your opening.

Old 08-13-12, 01:07 PM
or are perpendicular to this wall and don't even touch it.
I think X meant to say "or are parallel to this wall..."

Old 08-13-12, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
yes, nashkat1, thanks for catching that.