Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sagging Floors 25 Year old house, two stories

MA

09-25-12, 08:06 PM   #1  
Sagging Floors 25 Year old house, two stories

Hello,

I am looking for advise on what may be causing sagging floors. My aunt has a 25 year old house in a development in Stowe PA. She bought it about 2 years ago. After about a year, I came over to do some minor plumbing work and noticed the floors in her kitchen (first floor) are sagging badly (about 2.75"). I also noticed directly above the kitchen (master bedroom) that those floors are sagging as well (hard to tell exact amount because of carpeting). I went into the basement that is finished and looked at the floor joists and subfloor. After removing most of the dropped ceiling, I noticed a couple large cracks in the sub floor plywood (1/4 thick running length of plywood). I also noticed the joists have stress cracks in them, and some are not touching the subfloor anymore.

Here is what I believe may be the issue:

1. When whoever finished the basement (looks like before house was sold), they removed a post from the beam. The house is approx 25'D X 25'W, and is a duplex style (each unit is owned, not rented). The main beam is 3 2x12's running the length of the house with all the joists resting on top. The joists are 2x8's spaced 16 OC.

2. There is a custom built island near where the floor is sagging (about 1' away from largest dip). I am estimating that it weighs 400lbs. Is it possible the floor cannot hold this load and is in need of re-structuring?

Any other idea's would be helpful. Unfortunetly at this time she cannot afford an engineer or a contractor. I would like some idea's so when we do have the money we know what we are looking for in a contractor.

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links

VA

09-25-12, 08:26 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I noticed a couple large cracks in the sub floor plywood (1/4 thick running length of plywood). I also noticed the joists have stress cracks in them, and some are not touching the subfloor anymore.
What type of cross-blocking is framed in between the joists? Pictures will help us see what you're looking at. See How To Put Pictures In Your Post.

A temporary beam under the area where the island is, with a couple of jack posts under that, might help until you can make more lasting improvements.

MA

09-27-12, 04:25 PM   #3  
Hi,thank you for the reply. I actually just left there a few days ago. I live in Boston, her house is outside of philly. I will be back there in a few weeks. I will snap some photo's and put up the temp beam for safety. I actually don't think there is any cross-blocking at all now that I think of it. I will go ahead and post some photos when I come down there.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-27-12, 05:52 PM   #4  
they removed a post from the beam.
Bingo! I, likewise, agree that new support should be added to the beam. The beam should be jacked up slowly to prevent cracking of walls, etc., maybe over a period of weeks, but I understand your time constraints. Put the support in and jack a little. Over time it will correct itself.

Search this Thread