Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracks on wooden support beam. brand new construction.

OR

10-11-12, 12:03 AM   #1  
Cracks on wooden support beam. brand new construction.

Hi,

I bought a brand new house and it is in the framing stage currently (new construction). I see big cracks in the support beam. I am not sure if these cracks are ok. Else, i will talk to the builder about them. I am also not sure if the inspector would be able to notice these as typically the inspection from the buyer side happens after the house is fully constructed.

This is the picasa link for the photographs.https://picasaweb.google.com/1021273...33985/Framing#

Please advise me about the quality and whether should i be worried about the cracks. I will upload more close up pictures tommorow. BTW this beam is at the entrance to the garage. there is going to be a bedroom directly above it though.

Sponsored Links

OR

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-11-12, 02:38 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums! Those are called "checks" and are perfectly normal in larger lumber. Once it dries out, the encapsulated energy has to go somewhere, so the wood twists and bends ever so slightly and causes checks in the wood. Your beam is large enough I don't think you will have any problems. Congratulations on the new home.

OR

10-11-12, 01:11 PM   #4  
I uploaded few more close up pics. Thanks Chandler for the response. Please look at the the close up ones and let me know.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-11-12, 02:18 PM   #5  
Close ups only made the checks more legible. There is nothing wrong with the checks. It is normal.

Search this Thread