Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Enlarge door opening?

TN

12-18-12, 09:00 PM   #1  
Enlarge door opening?

I need some advice on a doorway that Id like to enlarge. The door is 24 inches wide plus casing and six inches of drywall available on each side to remove. It seperates the small master bath from a hallway with closets on each side. The hall leads to the master bedroom.

Ideally I would enlarge it 6 inches each side with the drywall and framed area above being removed completely. Id then frame the door to the opposite end of hall.

A construction co gave me an estimate and suggested its not load bearing. Id like to do the work myself. What do I look for to give some peace of mind it can just be removed? Directly below is the middle of the dining room. Above is attic. Its not attached to an exterior wall.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

TN

12-18-12, 09:11 PM   #2  
Not sure why the pics are rotated. I will try to fix.

OR

12-18-12, 11:59 PM   #3  
Go up in the attic, and observe the orientation of the ceiling joists. If they are perpendicular to and resting on the wall, it is load bearing. Still no reason the door can't be widened, as long as a proper header and support system are installed. Your pictures indicate that you'd be lucky to get 3" of additional width on each side of the doorway (allowing space for the casings on each side), meaning the finished product would be a 30" door--still quite an improvement over the 24" you have now.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-19-12, 03:18 AM   #4  
Keep in mind that when you enlarge the doorway, you will alter the floor threshold as well. This will open up a 5" void in your flooring on either side of the door. Hopefully you have additional flooring laying around that you can "rebuild" the threshold. It looks like you have wood on one side and tile on the other with a marble threshold.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-19-12, 03:56 AM   #5  
Good advice so far. I think the floor thingy will be your biggest hurdle. Why would someone put in a 24" door to a bathroom??? Measure your shoulders. See?? I had a client who had to claim all the space in her house for "something". In one of the bathrooms she had a 1-0 x 6-8 door for a reach in towel storage. Why even bother with a door? Special order. Now ask how easy it was to install the inside trim Lights and mirrors.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-19-12, 04:46 AM   #6  
Why would someone put in a 24" door to a bathroom???
Believe it or not, that used to be SOP. Not counting the high end houses, the majority of houses built before the 80's had 2' doors in both the bath rms and bed rms. Besides being hard to trim, those ultra narrow closets are hard to paint too. I worked for a fat builder one time that got stuck laying the hardwood in a narrow closet .... don't know if he ever lived that down

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

12-19-12, 09:18 AM   #7  
The bathroom flooring is being replaced and I would likely extend the tile into the hall way. Yes, the door is so narrow. Thankfully I can fit through it! To clarify there would be just an opening no door seperating the bath from closet. The door would move to the other end seperating closet to master bed. There I could do a a larger door or do a barn style. Tech the toilet is in an alcove so dont really need a door. I will go up in attic this weekend. Using my phone to take pics it appears the joists run parallel to the wall. But most framing was covered with insulation so will need to climb up and look.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-19-12, 11:21 AM   #8  
Sounds as if you have it licked. Let us know if you have any questions. We're here.

Search this Thread