Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gap between joist and top plate

VA

01-13-13, 06:51 PM   #1  
Gap between joist and top plate

I just sistered a cracked floor joist in my ceiling with a 2 X 10 running the full length of 13 feet. The new joist is about 1 /16th taller then the original joist, I am assuming because of shrinkage over the years. After popping the joist in, glueing and nailing I then started on the drywall and noticed that each joist on both sides of the sistered joist is not touching the sill or top plate of the load bearing wall. The gap is between 1/16th and 1/8 of an inch. My friend who helped me claims he's done a bunch of joist back in the day and says that it will be fine and that the joists will eventually settle on the support members. I do not have a warm fuzzy about this and was hoping if anyone has any good advice for this, I was thinking about shimming under the joists. Please help....

Sponsored Links

ME

01-13-13, 07:06 PM   #2  
Hi by and welcome to the forum,
Your friend is probably correct as all wood framing will shrink in length and width. I usually trim a sister to match to avoid the bump, or you can plane or saw it before the drywall. Drywall patches don't need extra bumps to try to make it flat.

2 x 10's will vary from 9 3/4" down to 9 1/4", part from lumber mill variations and part from drying. But a 1/4" shrinkage is common.

As for shimming, I wouldn't bother, although I would use some caulking to air seal everywhere I can.

Bud

Group Moderator

NE

01-13-13, 07:35 PM   #3  
If the other joists aren't touching, it could be because of the taller joist that you rolled into place. As Bud mentioned, the joist probably could have been planed down a little to match the others. I probably also wouldn't bother shimming, as perhaps the new joist will shrink by 1/16" or 1/8". But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to shim it go ahead. Wood shrinks width-wise, but generally as a percentage not nearly as much lengthwise.

VA

01-14-13, 04:03 PM   #4  
I appreciate the advice and will just keep going with the drywall. Even though the new joist is taking over the load of the two other joists the floor seems very sturdy upstairs and hopefully it will all settle right.

Search this Thread