Please help me estimate cost - Fix noisy floor

Old 02-18-13, 03:11 PM
Please help me estimate cost - Fix noisy floor

Hi,

I got a bedroom right above our family room that has somewhat noisy floors. Once corner especially (the one right in front of the closet) has a loud creak that drives me nutts and is also embarrassing when we have people over. I already tried to screw down the subfloor, that helped a bit, but not much. The joists seem okay, I don't see any flexing or sagging below, it's just quite loud creaking in the corner and in general some softer creaks and popping sounds. The house is about 30 years old, the room is carpeted right now, and is about 150 sq ft. The other rooms in the house have some minor creaks, but nothing as bad as this one.

So now I would like to see what my options are and what they would cost.

1) Pull up the subfloor in the creaky corner, fix whatever the issue is under the floor, and replace subfloor again.

2) The more radical approach: take out all the subfloors in the room, fix whatever an issue may be under the floor, reinstall new (thicker?) subfloors, put maybe a thicker carpet pad down to help with the noise too.

Ballpard-wise, what would each of these approaches cost? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-13, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
So you can see the structure and subfloor in this room from below?

Old 02-19-13, 06:28 AM
No, the family room below has a sheet rock ceiling, the joist are not directly accessible. Would it be easier to remove the sheet rock below and fix the problem from there?

Old 02-19-13, 06:51 AM
Group Moderator
Not necessarily but if you can see from below, as I thought you might be able to from your original question, you can often see the problem by looking from underneath as someone walks on the floor above.

There can be a lot of different reasons for a floor to squeak, giving you an estimate remotely is going to be problematic. I would suggest having a few contractors come out and see what they have to say.

Old 02-19-13, 06:52 AM
I'm assuming you are looking at 16" center to center, so I would be looking at the subfloor. Could that corner have gotten wet or seen water at some point?

In my home, the issue is I have 24" C2C because that was acceptable 75yrs go.

Old 02-19-13, 07:27 AM
It's possible that the corner got wet at some point in time. I bought the house 1 1/2 years ago, and I wasn't told anything about that, but since the house is 30+ years old it's possible. One thing I noticed is that the creak is much worse in winter, and almost completely disappears in summer.

Old 02-19-13, 07:44 AM
It's possible that the corner got wet at some point in time. I bought the house 1 1/2 years ago, and I wasn't told anything about that, but since the house is 30+ years old it's possible. One thing I noticed is that the creak is much worse in winter, and almost completely disappears in summer.
This is due to the humidity levels. The subfloor will expand when warm and humid and contracts when cold/dry.

Old 02-19-13, 08:24 AM
Well, I installed a humidifier last year hoping it would help with the creak, but didn't help that much. The wood is still shrinking in the house, I can tell because some doors are also getting sticky.

Old 02-19-13, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Doors tend to stick more in the summer than winter, in my experience. What is the humidity level in your house?

Old 02-19-13, 08:40 AM
Doors stick more because the house moves thanks to the frost.
My old house is a prime example. The side porch door would not open during the winter months. As soon as the thow came, it would open and close fine. This is an extreme case (porch was poorly built), but it proves a point.