Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vaulted roof/ceiling design

OR

02-21-13, 12:16 PM   #1  
Vaulted roof/ceiling design

I need help.. I love the look of exposed beams and wood on a vaulted ceiling.
However i need help on what goes on above the ceiling and how to design the structure.

If I were to follow a typical construction code I would have 12" rafters, The ceiling covering would go on the interior face, then a vapor barrier, then about 8-10" of insulation, then an air gap for venting, then the roof. In OR I need an R30 insulation. The problem with this design is I cover all the beams with the ceiling finish and insulation. I suppose I could add "fake" beams for the look.

Since the intent of the code is to provide a vapor barrier and insulation are there alternative ways to leave exposed beams and insulate above them?

Sponsored Links

ME

02-21-13, 12:49 PM   #2  
Hi auto and welcome to the forum,
They do it all the time with log homes. Built the frame out of what you want to look at, then cover the roof area with T&G pine, or whatever you want to look at, then your VB, insulation and up from there. Your venting location or no vent will decide the rest. Search log homes or post and beam construction for pictures.

However, a post and beam design will cost you a bundle. It all depends upon how much you want to pay.

Bud

Also, log homes and large timber framing have other issues you should read up on. Log homes shrink and expand with the seasons, thus doors and windows need to be installed so they can avoid those pressures. Large timbers will have a similar issue.

Last edited by Bud9051; 02-21-13 at 12:52 PM. Reason: addition

OR

02-21-13, 11:01 PM   #3  
I lived in a log home at 8000 feet elevation in Colorado. It had exposed, rough-sawn trusses at 6' centers, and 5"-thick, T&G pine above them. I don't know if there was any insulation above the pine, but the place was sure cozy--total heating cost (propane) was less than $100 a month, average for the year.

Sure enjoyed living there, with the best view in the subdivision of a beautiful lake (stocked with trout) right across the street. But I don't miss shoveling and plowing the deep, white stuff in winter!

Search this Thread