Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Combining a 5' header with a 3' header 6 to the side of it?

Combining a 5' header with a 3' header 6 to the side of it?

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-13, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It won't be possible to use the two headers you have presently for a wider door. The header must be continuous across the new opening and rest on jack/king combinations at each end. It is not so much that the wall is or is not load bearing, but that the header is needed to keep the wall from sagging over your new door and causing a failure.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with Larry that your idea won't fly...and would add that it might be easiest to use the king stud that is on the left side of the 41" door header as the right king stud for your new 75" header.

You will probably be needing to pull the drywall off a large part of that wall anyway so that the romex running below the window can be rerouted up and over the new header.

Old 03-12-13, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Why not just get a 5' patio door? They are a standard size available. I put one in my house and it works great!

Old 03-12-13, 08:35 PM
Not quite sure why you'd want to spend more $$$ on 2 x 12s, glue and bolts than it would cost to buy a standard header for the 6' door you want, and just install it. If you live in Bernalillo or one of the other NM counties/cities having an active building permit group, your local building department may have to give its blessing to whatever you do as well. Meaning you might want to contact them before getting too far along.

Old 03-13-13, 12:17 AM
Bit of an attitude there?

Yes, this IS a Do-It-Yourself website but sometimes the most prudent thing to do is NOT DIY for one or several reasons. You seem to have made up your mind that what you want to do and the way that you want to do it is A-OK and are just looking to get someone to sprinkle some holy water on your idea. Sorry, but we don't do it that way here. Some DIY-type website will tell you to go ahead no matter how bad your idea and if that is the kind of "advice" you want then maybe this isn't the site for you.

I read (admittedly rather quickly) the thread that you referenced and while the term "header" was used it read to me more like a supporting beam than a header. Different application from what you are proposing. Carpentry and home construction is not my area of expertise but I think you have been given excellent advice. Remember, the people that have responded in detail have been doing this kind of work for decades and they KNOW what they are talking about. When they refer to codes it is almost always in regard to the national model codes unless they have specific knowledge of the codes in your area. The model codes exist for one single purpose and that is safety. The adopted codes in your jurisdiction may have some addendum that are political but the major parts will still be about safety. Ignoring codes can also come back to haunt you even years after you complete your project. Often the enacted code will have provisions that apply a fine to unpermitted work and each day is a new violation. It can also be difficult in some cases to sell a house that has unpermitted work, especially structural modifications such as you are proposing.

Doing the job correctly will take only a bit more work and material than doing it incorrectly. For me, it wouldn't be worth it but you can go ahead and do it anyway your little heart desires. I won't be visiting and I won't tell any person of authority in your town.

One last thing: This is an all-volunteer forum. No one gets paid a nickel for the time spent in offering advice. You can take the advice or not and it makes no difference to any of us. But PLEASE don't try to tell anyone to not post if they don't have the answer that YOU want to read.

Old 03-13-13, 01:34 AM
Well spoken, Furd. Now he'll probably just go off and do it his way regardless, spending a lot more time and money than if he had done it the way we have suggested. And when the day comes when he tries to sell the place, when the buyer's home inspector notices the cracks in the over-spanned header, he'll wish he had listened to us.

I guess we'll never know, since he certainly won't be back. Too bad--I really would like to know why he wants to do it the long (and expensive) way. He never did answer my simple question about same. Something in his drinking water, maybe??

I lived in NM for 25 years, and nothing I was exposed to there would ever have set me off into la-la land like he's obviously living in. But perhaps my time there possibly made me start thinking like a bunch of "girls"--whatever on earth that means. No offense to the girls (and women, and ladies) out there--I respect all of you.

Old 03-13-13, 02:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My goodness, did we get a bad box of Cheerios, this morning?? I've had girls (ladies) work for me that, at least, listened to reason when I told them how to do things. I think all has been said about what we do on the forum and how we volunteer our time. For someone to come along and insist on doing things that won't pass inspection of any sort, and cost more than doing it right, just doesn't make sense.

I'll defer comments to the others, as I think this thread has run it's course and will close it if it gets heated any further.

Old 03-13-13, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He is right about one thing, it is like "trolling for ..." While I don't live anywhere near New Mexico, I do however, make a decent living off of fixing crappy work done by "visionary thinkers" like the OP whose genius has figured a better way to do something than standard practice. Honestly, If he could see half the things I (we) see on a weekly basis he would never have posted the original question in the first place.

Last edited by czizzi; 03-13-13 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 08:33 AM
My compliments to Furd, Bridgeman45, and Chandler for your measured, restrained, and accurate addressing of the OP on this thread. My first impulse to some of his comments would have far less polite.

Old 03-13-13, 12:52 PM
This is part of the Do It Yourself.Com Web Sites Rules, Posting Content and Policies. It is posted as a Sticky at the top of the thread list in this forum:

Publicly second-guessing, harassing, belittling and/or ridiculing anyone and/or anything posted by another member are all strictly prohibited. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and/or inappropriate, in a reasonable persons view, is prohibited.

Closed Thread