Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Raised Basement Floor?

WI

03-25-13, 09:13 AM   #1  
Raised Basement Floor?

I moved into my house less than a year ago, the basement is divided, one half of it (approx 30 ft x 14 ft) area is finished. Anyways we had unusual amount of rain/melting of snow and some water seeped in and ruined my laminate floors and so I ripped them all up and dried everything out. Now I am wondering exactly what I should do going forward. We had people that have never had water in their basement get water after this past period of rain/snow melt so not sure if it is an every year type of thing or if it was a fluke.

Either way I've been playing around with the possibility of raising the floor and making a step so that if water would happen to come in again at least it won't go onto new flooring. My problem with this is a couple of things...

A) Does that make sense?
B) Do I insulate under the step with plastic/insulation? And if so if water would happen to seep in again wouldn't it just ruin all of that? My thinking on the step was that even if water would seep through again I could get some box fans and put them in the other room and have them blow under the raised area to air/dry things out.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

03-25-13, 09:27 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

My first step would be outside to get the water away from your foundation with grading, gutters and downspout extensions. On top of that, looking at the specific areas where the water came in to see if there are other issues which need to be addressed.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

03-30-13, 05:33 PM   #3  
I would use rubberized flooring. That way it doesn't have to be raised & the water won't damage it.

WA

04-04-13, 10:55 AM   #4  
If you live in central or northern WI, I would use some rigid foamboard under the flooring. Figure to add 10*F to the temps listed (6' below-grade), 40*F = 50*F, 44*=54*F; Average Shallow GroundWater Temperatures | Ecosystems Research | US EPA

Pp.4: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment

IMHO, rubber material would be similar to using cardboard, pp.48; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...sure-guideline

You could also use a plastic sub-floor material without the insulating properties if in a southern location of WI; fig.3; BSI-003: Concrete Floor Problems — Building Science Information Enkadrain, Delta FL, etc.

Gary

Search this Thread