Help fixing notch in girder

Old 04-16-13, 07:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help fixing notch in girder

I am looking for some help solving a problem I created. I installed central vac and without thinking notched a girder. The Girder holds up the floor of the entry level of the house. The house is a bi-level so there is not much on this level, just a closet. The stairs upstairs are attached to the girder. There are no load bearing walls attached to the girder. At the time I installed the central vac I didn't think it was a big deal, but after watching some Holmes on Homes episodes I realize I have screwed up. I would like to fix this and am thinking of laying a 16" 2x8 on the floor below the notch and aligning 2 4x4 posts on either side of the notch. What do you guys think, will this work?

From the pictures you can see Teleposts on either end of the girder and the size of the notch I made. From the front (under stairs) not too bad, but from behind I realize I may have notched too much.

Attached Images     
Old 04-16-13, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
From the looks of it (last photo), you notched far more than needed to get the pipe through the header--the member nearest the stairway looks like it needed an angle-drilled hole. Not sure what a 2 x 8 on the floor will do for strengthening the stress-raiser you created in the header. I'd be more inclined to just glue and screw a few "helper" 2xs, one sistered on each side of the header, as long and wide as you can possibly make them. You can infill the visible side with scab 2x material, then neatly sheetrock over it (and around the pipe) to hide the botched surgery.

Adding 4 x 4 posts is way over-kill, even though Mike Holmes would probably add 2 on each end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: