Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hanging Jeep Hard top (storage) from garage joists

MD

04-28-13, 09:46 AM   #1  
Hanging Jeep Hard top (storage) from garage joists

I'd like to hang my Jeep Hardtop in my garage. It weights roughly 150 lbs. I've worked out how going to use straps to life and hang the top, I'm a little more uncertain about how best to attached the straps to the ceiling joists. I need anchors at 4 locations (the corners).

My garage ceiling is drywall with an attic above. I have joists at roughly 12-16" on center.. i need to go up and confirm spacing.

I'm a little concerned about simply screwing in eye-bolts from below into the joists. As I'm screwing through drywall, I'm concerned I won't hit the exact center of the joists and it may pull out. As I have little kids taking toys and bikes in/out of the garage... I need to make sure it's absolutely secure.

My other idea is to attach 2x6's across the top of the joists (from above) and attached a long lag bolt through the 2x6 and then down through the drywall below as the anchor.

Am I over thinking this or is this a more elegant solution?

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-28-13, 10:21 AM   #2  
For a balanced 150 lbs, yep, you're over thinking it. You can run a 2x6 in two places (front and back) and screw them (3" #9 torx head decking screws) into the joists, then put your lag eyes anywhere along the 2x6's you need them.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-28-13, 12:36 PM   #3  
If the top fits a JK, you can store it on my jeep

I've always been partial to U-bolts when hanging something heavy from the ceiling and there is access to the top side of the joist.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

05-04-13, 05:15 AM   #4  
Joists

Use a stud finder on the ceiling to find the center of the ceiling joists.

MD

05-04-13, 11:11 AM   #5  
Ok.. got (2) 2x6's mounted as described in "chandler" description. no problem.. easy as pie...

Now.. I'm thinking about using (4) #000-3-7/8" screw eyes that I picked up from home depot. I'm guessing they will have no problem supporting the weight but I can't find a carrying capacity on the packaging. Any concerns of the screw eyes pulling out of the 2x6.. i'm probably over-thinking this again.. but want to be sure....

thanks..

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-04-13, 01:48 PM   #6  
Screw eyes should be fine but I prefer to use the ones made like a bolt. A fender washer and a bolt and I know it can't pull out.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread