Playhouse floor load

Old 05-14-13, 02:43 AM
Playhouse floor load

I am looking to build a 2 story playhouse with purchased plans. I was surprised to find the floor joists to be 2x4 16 on center with up to a 10 ft run with 3/4 subfloor. Is this sufficient? I was expecting to use 2x6.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! While 2x4 can marginally span that distance in a light load area, I would substitute 2x6s for the floor joists on both floors. You may have to modify the plans to accommodate this, but it will make your house sturdier.

Edit: Span for SPF 2x4's is 6'1"

Old 05-15-13, 04:11 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I just finished assembling a cedar play set and found it interesting the joists where 2x3. The span was probably less then 6ft and there was only 2 joists (not including the boards mounted along the walls).

Old 05-15-13, 09:40 AM
I think I will just upgrade to 2x6 to be safe. It is interesting that they sell these prebuilt with 2x4s and claim they are some of the strongest playhouses available but it just doesn't seem safe, especially as the kids get older and bigger. That's the advantage of doing it myself I can put in a better part and end up with a better finished project. Thanks for the help.