floating wall to I-beam - needs help

Old 06-05-13, 07:24 AM
floating wall to I-beam - needs help

I have a 30 inch wall that is floating. I connected it to my I-beam with the Ramset. I was going to connect the 2x4 top plate with glue as well, but forgot. We nailed in 3 nails into the I-beam, but the 2x4 split in all 3 spots. Probably since my wall is so short. It is still together, but am worried because one side of the wall will be used to hold up cement backer board for a shower. Am wondering if I need to take down that wall and and redo the top-plate onto the I-beam maybe with bolts or something? Or, should I just leave it. If I take it down, how do I go about doing it and will that compromise the I-beam. Then, if I bolt the wall to the I-beam or something, how often should I bolt it with a 30" wall? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 08:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you used 2x3s instead of 2x4s. They shouldn't have split like that. Can you post some pics?

Old 06-05-13, 10:16 AM
They are 2x4s. Here are some pictures.

Attached Images    
Old 06-05-13, 10:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
They look okay to me. You don't have to start over.

Old 06-07-13, 12:10 PM
Not sure I'd trust the split 2 x 4 to remain intact. You could prevent the split from growing by installing a few 2-1/2" horizontal screws. Using pre-drilling, of course, to prevent more splits from developing in the opposite direction.