Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Moving stud in a load bearing wall

NM

06-09-13, 08:00 AM   #1  
Moving stud in a load bearing wall

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I am trying to enlarge a doorway and I need to move a stud in a load bearing wall about 10 inches. the wall runs the width of the house (39') and has a hallway opening and two doorway openings. one of these doorways is what im trying to enlarge.

I need to move the left side of the door frame to the 36" mark on the drywall.
here's a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rfqni2cz5pjhgjj/Fu2I65E91D

So can i safely move this stud that far? please let me know. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

06-09-13, 08:29 AM   #2  
Should not be a big deal, just make sure to add the cripples over the header, and use a longer header.
I also would change that header to 2, 2 X 6's and a piece of 1/2 OSB or plywood for better support.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

06-09-13, 08:33 AM   #3  
Not much of a header for a load bearing wall.

You will need to build a temporary wall to support the ceiling around 12" this side of the wall before you disassemble the framing and re-size the opening. I would beef up the header on the larger opening as 2-2x4's on their sides does not provide any support.

NM

06-09-13, 09:27 AM   #4  
would this work:

if i remove that horizontal stud and put a king stud in there on the left side.

then put a jack stud on the left side.

remove the header that's there now and use 2, 2x6s for the new header.

can i remove all that stuff for a hour or two while i do this without compromising the integrity of the wall? I mean the wall is so long, does taking one stud (king and jack) out really make a difference for 1 hour?

heres a link of what im talking about (current frame is on the left. what i want to do is on the right)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7d3ah9ozvzj0wnf/MAQaz-tIiY

Last edited by jdogg1583; 06-09-13 at 10:10 AM.

VA

06-09-13, 11:24 AM   #5  
No way would I spend the time to build a temperary wall to remove just one stud.

GA

06-09-13, 11:45 AM   #6  
I looked at the initial wall and saw that it was on 24" centers, raising an alarm in the first place. I would remove the blocking to the left, install my king and jack where you want it. Have your header made up less the cripples. Remove the offending stud and header (not much of a header), and install the new header and cripples.

Search this Thread