2x5 Rafters

Old 06-11-13, 09:48 AM
2x5 Rafters

My house was built around 1965, from what I can tell, by a legitimate builder, and the rest of the house all seems to be pretty standard. Getting ready to install a metal roof, I went up to the attic to check things out, and discovered that the roof rafters measure precisely 5" wide. (was so startled that I didn't even bother measuring the thickness, but they appear to be standard 2-by.)

Ever heard of anything like this? They're on 16" centers, and the span is 19', so I would have thought even 2X6s would have been under spec.

At this point I'm inclined to figure if it's stood this long, it will stand a bit longer -- not even sure what I could do about it, other than talking to an architect about trusses.

Thanks.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Jbefumo, welcome to the forums! I would gather you have trusses, rather than stick built rafters and joisting. If they are trusses and made of 2x6 (nominal for 5 1/2" lumber) then they are substantial. You may want to post a picture from up in the attic so we can see what you see to confirm all this. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Oh, I moved your thread to it's own home, so we can concentrate on your situation, and not one 3 years ago.

Old 06-11-13, 03:39 PM
Not sure why you where startled, I've seen many a stick built house built with 2 X 4 rafters.
What's the pitch of the roof?

Old 06-11-13, 04:31 PM
Span tables don't allow 2x4's for rafters over 8' 3". Trusses, sure, but not stick built.