Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Detached Garage Side Entry Door Header Question

MI

06-26-13, 06:39 PM   #1  
Detached Garage Side Entry Door Header Question

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum after lurking for a bit. I appreciate in advance any advice you all can give on my potential dilemma!

I would like to put a 3680 pre hung door on the side of my detached garage. My question involves framing in the header and my limited available height. OK here goes...

I have 85 1/4" from the concrete floor to the bottom of the double top plate. The door calls for a rough opening (vertical) of 82 1/2", so with their called out rough opening, that only leaves me 2 3/4" for some kind of header for support. As you can see from the pics it's on a wall that I believe is load bearing (not the gable side)...so I was planning on putting two 2x4's with 1/2" plywood between vertically in for the header. BUT...obviously that won't fit. As you can also see from the second picture it's SOOOOO close! Argh!

OK, I can fit two 2x4's horizontally (even though I know it's not supposedly the right way to do it) and still leave myself a bit of wiggle room to level everything because the door measures only 81 3/4" tall. I really think this will be enough to support the load, as I'm only removing 2 studs and then "replacing" one with a new king stud only 6" over. But will this be against code? I already noted on my sketch to the city (the sketch includes multiple things such as a patio, partial driveway replacement, electrical conduit run to the garage, etc) that there will be a new side entry door here. So I'm expecting the city building inspector to need to OK this when it's all said and done.

What can I do?? I'm really praying this door will work and I won't have to order an expensive custom door or something because of this height being so close!!

Sorry, I've wrecked my brain trying to figure out why these are getting rotated 90 deg ccw...I can't figure out what's going on! They're right-side-up on when I upload them!! Tilt your heads I guess!!?? Here are the pics:

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  photo(1).jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  29.4 KB

Thank you all for any advice you can offer!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

06-26-13, 06:52 PM   #2  
You have a double top plate... but you can cut out the bottom 2x4 from that top plate to gain 1 1/2" of room for a 2x4 header. Once you remove it, you will then have 86 3/4" from floor to the bottom edge of the top 2x4 of your top plate. Install the 2x4 header (86 3/4 - 3 1/2") and you will have 83 1/4". Slap a 1x4 onto the bottom of that, and it will be 82 1/2.

Depending where you are at and how strict your building inspector is, they may require you put a piece of 1 1/4" wide metal strap across the top plate and header that is 12" longer than the header on each side. This would get nailed off with 8d hanger nails in every hole. It restores the integrity of the top plate.

Almost forgot... welcome!

MI

06-27-13, 05:02 AM   #3  
Thanks XSleeper!!

That seems easy enough. Even if the inspector sees it after it's all done we can always just add the metal strap afterward if he says it's necessary, right?

Anything else to watch out for or pitfalls to avoid?

P.S. If it matters for code purposes or anything, we are in the Detroit Metro area. No earthquakes to deal with at least!

Last edited by guitarguy19; 06-27-13 at 05:29 AM.

MI

06-27-13, 06:07 AM   #4  
One more quick question, a double 2x4 header sandwiched with 1/2" plywood will be enough header for this opening, right???

I'm seeing a general rule of thumb of 2" of header for every 1' of opening...but I can't fit a 2x6 header in this space!!

Will 2x4s be adequate for a 36" door?

Group Moderator

NE

06-27-13, 03:47 PM   #5  
Yes, that will be fine. In calculating header size, there are more factors than just the width of the opening, it has more to do with the actual load above it. On such a small roof, and narrow building, a 2x4 header should be fine. And yes, if he says anything you can always add the strap.

Search this Thread