securing basement half wall

Old 07-07-13, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
securing basement half wall

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and one wall of the basement has concrete for the bottom half and drywall for the top half. I was going to build a half wall up to the drywall portion of the wall. I know I could secure the half wall by drilling into the wall with screws but I'm wondering if there's a way to secure the top of the half wall (top plate) by attaching it to the piece of 2x6 that is between the drywall and concrete. I can post pics if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-13, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I know what you are talking about, but since every application is different, it would be best to post pictures. That way we can give you more accurate advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-08-13, 07:11 PM
pics posted

Here our some pics of the basement wall I am talking about. I can provide more if needed. As you can see in 1 pic the 2x6

Name:  IMG_0250[1].jpg
Views: 3711
Size:  21.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0249[1].jpg
Views: 2640
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 07-09-13, 04:51 AM
Two schools of thought. Build a complete wall from floor to ceiling out from this wall to make a smooth wall. Secondly, build a short wall, inset, then the remaining wall.

If you want the shelf area, then build a wall just as you would in a room with your top plate level with the 2x6. Then use 6" Timberlocks to screw into the top plate edge securing it to the 2x6. I hope this makes sense.

Do not laugh at my illustration!!

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  9.4 KB

Old 07-09-13, 01:14 PM
When using timberlock to attach the top plate to the 2x6 how do you keep the 1/2 - 1 inch space between the wall and the concrete. I feel like the screws would pull the half wall towards the concrete. Does that make sense?

Old 07-09-13, 06:03 PM
Timberlocks are designed to pull things together, since there are only threads on the tips. You can use wooden spacers to keep that from happening. A piece of 5/4' deck board is perfect.

Old 07-09-13, 08:35 PM
ok last question.....i hope

Should I drill pilot holes into the sides of the 2x4 top plate as to not split/crack the wood?

Old 07-10-13, 03:57 AM
Timberlocks are so skinny, I doubt they would split the wood, but it certainly won't hurt to help you get through the hardest part. With screws on the tip only, it will free spin once the tip enters the stationary plate and pull tight.